Principal Product Manager – WFM Supply Chain and Merchandising Systems (SC&M)
The Principal Product Manager for SC&M owns defining supply chain and merchandising solutions for the company, including ordering, inventory management, food transformation, planograming, promotions, item management, and more. The individual is responsible for both defining the vision and measuring the effectiveness and success of the solution. S/he is responsible for setting strategic direction for this space and is empowered to make necessary decisions to bring the strategy to fruition. This person understands the user and customer needs and the business goals, and collaborates with the architects, engineers and stakeholders to deliver. In early development life-cycle stages, when a solution is developed and introduced to the WFM ecosystem, the Principal Product Manager will act as an intrapreneur and an entrepreneur within the enterprise. This is a multi-faceted job that requires a broad range of skills, but it provides the exciting opportunity to develop new, beneficial products and features that span the organization. The Principal Product Manager is critical to the success of supply chain and merchandising technologies and the business teams that leverage them.
Ideal candidates will think big and have a strong bias for action, while earning trust through their desire to learn and be curious, invent and simplify, dive deep, insist on highest standards and work back from the customer. Given the complexity of each launch, it will also be important to be operationally strong – managing many relationships, dependencies, and timelines across many teams.
- Understanding the needs of customers, business partners (from Whole Foods Market and Amazon), and technology users.
- Managing and meeting the needs of senior stakeholders, including conducting executive leadership proposal or program reviews in the form of written Word documents, publishing post-launch metrics, and escalating to drive decision-making.
- Serving as the product leader for your projects, setting priorities across the portfolio of launches managed by you, and making investments in improving core services.
- Identifying net new capabilities or architectural investments needed to support and accelerate expansion and working with engineering technology services teams to ensure we create scalable and repeatable solutions.
- Developing supply chain and merchandising capability and technology product roadmaps spanning 3+ months to 3 years, including influencing Amazon and third-party vendor roadmaps to achieve goals.
- Driving the creation of business cases for all proposed roadmap initiatives, inclusive of detailed costs, ROI valuations, development of success metrics and alignment to strategic company goals.
- Creating and managing the functional scope of a given program phase and representing the scope in dependent phases.
- Distilling clear requirements from large and diverse sets of customers, partners, vendors, engineering teams, and business entities.
- Performing market research, usability studies, and creating focus groups to identify best of breed benchmarks and solves for customer problems.
- Setting up mechanisms for receiving feedback and adjusting priorities to ensure the right customer, technology, and engineering outcomes.
- Monitoring industry and the competition for technical and process changes and advances.
- Bachelor’s degree and 6+ years of relevant experience in business and product management
- 1+ years of experience extracting data using SQL
- 2+ years of advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Extensive experience in retail store operations, supply chain or merchandising programs
- Experience within the large program delivery and grocery business areas a plus
- Strategic technology planning and execution experience as well as policy development and maintenance
- Ability to effectively drive people, process and technology change in a dynamic and complex operating environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. This includes the ability to explain system concepts and technologies to business leaders, as well as business concepts to technologists, and the ability to sell ideas and processes internally at all levels and especially to senior leadership.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations, and drive actions.
- Strengths in problem solving, issue-resolution, ability to work in a deadline-driven work environment, high attention to detail, and ability to multitask
- Experience managing or working closely with engineering teams
- Proven experience launching high impact, complex products in a highly matrixed environment
- Expert at creating "working backwards documents" and plans
- Experience managing highly complex greenfield and enterprise level products/programs
- Previous experience at Amazon or Amazon subsidiary working on joint projects with Amazon
- Master’s degree or higher in business, supply chain, or related field; MBA preferred
- 3+ years implementing or using supply chain and merchandising systems preferred
This position is based in Austin; domestic relocation assistance is available. At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole
Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.