Preferred Location: St Louis MO, Austin TX or Chicago IL
What You Will Do
The Ascension Studio builds solutions that transform the way Ascension delivers healthcare to millions. We empower our product teams to solve hard problems - customer problems and business problems - in ways that our customers love, yet work for our business. These teams are cross-functional and durable, generally comprising a product manager, a product designer, and several engineers.
We staff our product teams with the skills necessary to come up with effective solutions that are valuable (our customers choose to buy or use), viable (the solution works within the many constraints of the business), usable (the user can figure out how to use) and feasible (our engineers have the skills and technology to implement).
While the product designers ensure usability and the engineers ensure feasibility, the product manager must understand the entire solution, constantly optimizing between different areas to ensure that solution delivers the maximum value over time.
This means that the product manager must bring to the product team a solid knowledge of the various business aspects, including marketing, legal, compliance, customer service, finance, and privacy, along with industry trends and competitive landscape. The product manager must also provide a deep knowledge of our users and customers, and identify how to measure our customers' engagement with our products. Finally, the product manager is expected to know enough about the technology to help make tradeoffs against other areas of the products, alongside their engineering counterparts.
While each member of the product team may be accountable for a specific risk, we look for product managers that understand that consistent innovation is the result of each member of the product team contributing their passion and ideas. The product manager must collaborate closely with all members of the teams to discover effective solutions, and then work together to deliver those solutions to the market.
While we empower our product teams to figure out the best solutions to the problems that need to be solved, we also hold those teams accountable to the results. Shipping is necessary, but not sufficient. We look for product managers that are not afraid of signing up for results, even when this means they have to work through others to achieve the necessary results.
This job, as with the other roles on the product team, is an individual contributor role. You will need to be able to influence your teammates, as well as colleagues, stakeholders, and key executives, through your use of leadership skills, data, storytelling, and logic.
Desired Knowledge, Experience and Traits
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of the techniques and methods of modern product discovery and product delivery.
- 2 years working on technology-powered products as either a product manager, product designer, engineer, data analyst, data scientist, or user researcher.
- Successful history of developing and delivering successful technology products to the market
- Demonstrated ability to learn multiple functional areas of business - engineering, design, finance, sales, or marketing.
- Experience working on cross functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to figure out solutions to hard problems with many constraints, using sound judgement to assess risks, and to lay out your argument in a well-structured, data-informed, written narrative.
- Proven ability to engage with engineers, designers, and company leaders in a constructive and collaborative relationship.
- Understanding of an agile approach/mindset to product development
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to speak clearly to a group of people
- Knowledgeable on technology trends, excited to help craft the future of healthcare
- Ability have a short term in depth focus and long term strategic vision for product
We know that innovation thrives on product teams where diverse points of view come together to solve hard problems in ways that are just now possible. As such, we explicitly seek people that bring diverse life experiences, educational backgrounds, cultures, and work experiences. Please be prepared to share with us how your perspective will bring something unique and valuable to our product teams.
What You Will Need
- High school diploma/GED with 2 years of experience, or Associate's degree, or Bachelor's degree required.
• 3 years of experience required.• 5 years of experience preferred.• 1 year of leadership or management experience preferred.
Why Join Our Team
When you join Ascension, you join a team of over 150,000 individuals across the country committed to a Mission of serving others and providing compassionate, personalized care to all. Our inclusive culture, continuing education programs, career coaches and benefit offerings are just a few of the resources and tools that team members can use to create a rewarding career path. In fact, Ascension spent nearly $46 million in tuition assistance alone to support associate growth and development. If you are looking for a career where you can grow and make a difference in your community, we invite you to join our team today.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Ascension is an equal opportunity employer (EEO) and affords equal opportunity to all associates and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the "EEO is the Law" poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
This employer participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.