Product Manager at Ascension
Preferred Location: St Louis MO, Austin TX or Chicago IL
Accelerate Ascension's journey to transform healthcare, for those we seek to serve and those who serve, by delivering brand-wide experiences, powered by people, design, data and technology.
What You Will Do
The Ascension Studio builds solutions that transform the way Ascension delivers healthcare to millions. We empower our product teams to solve hard problems - customer problems and business problems - in ways that our customers love, yet work for our business. These teams are cross-functional and durable, generally comprising a product manager, a product designer, and several engineers.
The API Platform team owns Ascension's enterprise data services layer, identity suite, and developer experience from design to deployment. We aspire to be the place where Ascension development teams come for answers, a trusted source for data and services that empower our products and business leaders to create innovative health care experiences. Our collaboration with and outputs to Ascension's other product teams shape their decisions and thus how our customers see, use, and value their experience.
We staff our product teams with the skills necessary to come up with effective solutions that are valuable (our customers choose to buy or use), viable (the solution works within the many constraints of the business), usable (the user can figure out how to use) and feasible (our engineers have the skills and technology to implement).
While the product designers ensure usability and the engineers ensure feasibility, the product manager must understand the entire solution, constantly optimizing between different areas to ensure that solution delivers the maximum value over time.
This means that the product manager must bring to the product team a solid knowledge of the various business aspects, including marketing, legal, compliance, customer service, finance, and privacy, along with industry trends and competitive landscape. The product manager must also provide a deep knowledge of our users and customers, and identify how to measure our customers' engagement with our products. Finally, the product manager is expected to know enough about the technology to help make trade offs against other areas of the products, alongside their engineering counterparts.
We are looking for an experienced technical product manager who is curious, driven, and passionate about api products, data services, and developer experience. If you are looking for a role where you can make a major impact by developing and launching new products that are driven by enterprise data services, open up innovative business strategies, and empower compelling developer experiences, we want to meet you.
As an API Platform product manager, you will be responsible for identifying customer needs and strategic business problems, define and drive development of api products and data services from concept to minimal viable product to launch and drive full product lifecycle. You will work cross-functionally with product managers, legal, business development, engineering and data science teams to perform technical, business and service feasibility analysis to drive product development and lifecycle management. You will contribute to help shape product portfolio strategy, align your product roadmap and deliver features to achieve the product portfolio vision.
While each member of the product team may be accountable for a specific risk, we look for product managers that understand that consistent innovation is the result of each member of the product team contributing their passion and ideas. The product manager must collaborate closely with all members of the teams to discover effective solutions, and then work together to deliver those solutions to the market.
While we empower our product teams to figure out the best solutions to the problems that need to be solved, we also hold those teams accountable to the results. Shipping is necessary, but not sufficient. We look for product managers that are not afraid of signing up for results, even when this means they have to work through others to achieve the necessary results.
This job, as with the other roles on the product team, is an individual contributor role. You will need to be able to influence your teammates, as well as colleagues, stakeholders, and key executives, through your use of leadership skills, data, storytelling, and logic.
We are looking for someone who is customer focused, relishes ambiguity and has a passion for innovating to create first-class products that deliver compelling customer and developer experiences.
Desired Knowledge, Experience and Traits
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Knowledgeable on technology trends, excited to help craft the future of healthcare.
- 2+ years of experience owning product definition, roadmap prioritization and end to end delivery for api-centric and data services based products as either a product manager, product designer, engineer, data analyst, data scientist, or user researcher.
- 5+ years of overall technical product management experience
- 5+ years experience contributing to architectural and engineering discussions around technology decisions and strategy related to a product.
- Successful history of developing and delivering technology products to the market, and demonstrated understanding of the techniques and methods of modern product discovery and product delivery required for building new, innovative, and engaging customer and developer experiences informed by customer data from various sources.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with Engineering, Data Governance, Data Science and other Product Teams to create best-in-class solutions for customers including experience in working with technical and non-technical stakeholders to understand and improve product capabilities.
- Demonstrated capacity to partner closely with leadership and cross-functional teams to develop and deliver innovative software and services that enable api development at scale, and positively impact multiple functional areas of business across engineering, design, data science, data governance, and legal/marketing.
- Proven ability to engage with engineers, designers, and company leaders in a constructive and collaborative relationship that contributes to a team culture of experimentation and innovation.
- Proven ability to have a short term in depth focus and long term strategic vision for product strategy, backlog/roadmap prioritization, and decision-making.
- Demonstrated ability to manage bottlenecks, provide escalation, anticipate, and make trade-offs, balance the business needs versus technical constraints, and maximize business benefit while building great customer and developer experiences.
- Demonstrated ability to figure out solutions to hard problems with many constraints, using sound judgement to assess risks, and to lay out your argument in a well-structured, data-informed, written narrative as necessary to ensure projects stay on schedule and meet our high standards of quality.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to speak clearly to a group of people, and present confidently to senior leadership, external partners, and stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations, drive actions, and create & track success metrics to dig deeper on customer/developer feedback to identify key pain points.
We know that innovation thrives on product teams where diverse points of view come together to solve hard problems in ways that are just now possible. As such, we explicitly seek people that bring diverse life experiences, educational backgrounds, cultures, and work experiences. Please be prepared to share with us how your perspective will bring something unique and valuable to our product teams.
What You Will Need
- High school diploma/GED with 2 years of experience, or Associate's degree, or Bachelor's degree required.
• 3 years of experience required.• 5 years of experience preferred.• 1 year of leadership or management experience preferred.
Why Join Our Team
When you join Ascension, you join a team of over 150,000 individuals across the country committed to a Mission of serving others and providing compassionate, personalized care to all. Our inclusive culture, continuing education programs, career coaches and benefit offerings are just a few of the resources and tools that team members can use to create a rewarding career path. In fact, Ascension spent nearly $46 million in tuition assistance alone to support associate growth and development. If you are looking for a career where you can grow and make a difference in your community, we invite you to join our team today.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Ascension is an equal opportunity employer (EEO) and affords equal opportunity to all associates and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the "EEO is the Law" poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
This employer participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.