Senior Principal Product Manager at Whole Foods Market
Senior Principal Product Managers partner with our business and engineering teams to design and deliver business outcomes. They are responsible for both defining the vision and measuring the effectiveness and success of the solution. They set the strategic direction for their space and are empowered to make necessary decisions to bring the strategy to fruition. Senior Principal Product Managers understand the user and customer needs and the business goals, and collaborates with the architects, engineers, and stakeholders to deliver.
Senior Principal Product Managers at Whole Foods will have the opportunity to focus on business outcomes across our entire company including Point of Sale, Supply Chain, Merchandising, eCommerce, and Digital. This is a multi-faceted job that requires a broad range of skills and allows individuals to move across subject areas as our business changes and as you grow as a professional.
Ideal candidates will think big and have a strong bias for action, while earning trust through their desire to learn and be curious, invent and simplify, dive deep, insist on the highest standards and work back from the customer. Given the complexity of each initiative we launch, it will also be important to be operationally strong – managing relationships, dependencies, and timelines across many teams.
- Manage a suite of products within a business unit or across multiple business units
- Understanding the needs of customers, business partners (from Whole Foods Market and Amazon), and technology users.
- Managing and meeting the needs of senior stakeholders, including conducting executive leadership proposals or program reviews in the form of written documents, publishing post-launch metrics, and escalating to drive decision-making.
- Serving as the product leader for large, strategic programs, setting priorities across the portfolio of launches managed by you, and making investments in improving core services.
- Identifying new capabilities or architectural investments needed to support and accelerate expansion and working with engineering technology services teams to ensure we create scalable and repeatable solutions.
- Developing 3-5 year product roadmaps for your area including influencing Amazon and third-party vendor roadmaps to achieve goals.
- Driving the creation of business cases for all proposed roadmap initiatives, inclusive of detailed costs, ROI valuations, development of success metrics and alignment to strategic company goals.
- Communicating product value propositions to large audiences including PR, Marketing, and Operations.
- Distilling clear requirements from large and diverse sets of customers, partners, vendors, engineering teams, and business entities.
- Performing market research, usability studies, and creating focus groups to identify best of breed benchmarks and solves for customer problems.
- Setting up mechanisms for receiving feedback and adjusting priorities to ensure the right customer, technology, and engineering outcomes.
- Being an industry expert with deep knowledge of competitive landscape and trends.
- Bachelor’s degree and 8+ years of relevant experience in business and product management
- 2+ years of experience extracting data using SQL
- 3+ years of advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Experience with large program delivery
- Strategic technology planning and execution experience
- Ability to effectively drive people, process and technology change in a dynamic and complex operating environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. This includes the ability to explain system concepts and technologies to business leaders, as well as business concepts to technologists, and the ability to sell ideas and processes internally at all levels and especially to senior leadership.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations, and drive actions.
- Strengths in problem solving, issue-resolution, ability to work in a deadline-driven work
environment, high attention to detail, and ability to multitask
- Experience managing or working closely with engineering teams
- Proven experience launching high impact, complex products in a highly matrixed environment
- Expert at creating "working backwards documents" and plans
- Experience managing highly complex greenfield and enterprise level products/programs
- Previous experience at Amazon or Amazon subsidiary working on joint projects with Amazon
- Master’s degree or higher in business or related field; MBA preferred
- Experience in physical retail and/or grocery
This position is based in Austin; domestic relocation assistance is available.
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.