Technical Product Manager - Banking at Self Financial
Self Financial, Inc. helps consumers establish and build credit history. We are a venture-backed, financial services startup based in Austin, TX. At Self, our mission is to help millions of people build credit and save money on their journey toward financial security.
There are about 100 million people in the US who have low credit scores or who have no access to credit at all. Sadly, there aren’t many options for these people. Most banks aren’t doing anything material to change the situation because it’s not profitable for them to do so. Bad credit or no credit history can be barriers to renting an apartment or getting certain jobs, let alone buying a car or house. And if you can get a loan with a low credit score, you’re very likely to pay a lot more in interest over the life of that loan.
Our team is passionate about challenging the status quo of the credit industry by giving people accessible and affordable tools to take control of their credit. Executing on our mission requires deep collaboration across our teams to ensure our products reach the people who can most benefit from them.
We're looking for people who share a passion for our mission and relate to why we do what we do. At Self, we want to work with people who are driven to tackle challenges, bring unique perspectives, find solutions and help make the financial space a better place for our consumers. We recognize that it takes different people and personalities to make our products – and our company – truly great. We only seek the best.
If you are someone who is equally passionate as we are, we want to chat with you.About the Role:
Self. is looking for a Technical Product Manager to lead product development and integrations with our banking partners.
The ideal candidate will have solid product management skills and experience building scalable and accurate services that integrate with high-volume partners. Prior experience in FinTech, Banking or Financial Services is strongly preferred. Our team is highly collaborative and happy to help you learn everything you need to be successful at Self. Join us!
- Spearhead Self’s Banking Platform product efforts, working closely with your engineering counterpart to understand Self’s core banking infrastructure and partner integration pain points.
- Serve as point-of-contact for our banking partners to understand their needs and to ensure the banking platform provides value to our partners.
- Lead the planning, design, delivery, and evangelization of infrastructure services for the Self. banking platform that are usable, reliable, resilient, and scalable.
- Drive adoption of new systems and deprecation of legacy systems.
- Communicate product strategy and roadmaps to cross-functional stakeholders.
- Define and monitor top-level product KPIs and drive prioritization/strategy discussions leveraging both data and intuition.
- Provide best-in-class support for our high-growth, engineering and product organization.
- 3 years of product management experience
- B.S. or M.S. in Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Statistics or other quantitative field or equivalent work experience. Previous engineering experience is a plus.
- Strong story mapping, prioritization, roadmapping, sprint-planning, and project-management skills
- A collaborative attitude and a helpful personality
- Experience working with banks or other high-scale partners that depend on accuracy
- Technical aptitude - ability to make and challenge complex technical design decisions and communicate them to non-technical audiences.
- Strong problem solving and strategic thinking skills
- Passion for our mission: helping people to build credit and save money
- Strong collaboration in team environments but able to act quickly as the decision-maker
Our compensation and benefits are competitive, but there's one thing that Self Financial can offer that many startups cannot: we can positively change the world, while making a profit. Over 64 million adults in the U.S. do not have a credit score due to a lack of credit history. Self is solving this problem with innovative technology and partnerships.
Our perks include:
- Competitive Pay
- Stock options
- Generous employer-paid health, vision and dental insurance coverage
- Enjoy our vacation policy – there is no policy, balance matters
- Educational assistance
- Free gym membership
- Plenty of snacks and drinks provided
- Casual dress code
- Catered company lunches on Mondays and Wednesdays
- Team happy hours and events
- Downtown Austin office space
- Remote work arrangements/ Flexible work schedule (due to the pandemic)
How we act with each other is how we act with our customers. We are direct, transparent and respectful, and we hope you embrace that approach.
Self Financial requires all employees hired to successfully pass a background check.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.