VP of Product
Come work at Smarter Sorting!
Smarter Sorting is a purpose-driven company committed to increasing sustainable options for unsold or damaged products. Our cutting-edge machine learning technology enables cost-effective, compliant decisions for all unsold products, and our process advances our partners’ zero-waste goals.
As a collective group of machine learning experts, successful serial entrepreneurs, data scientists, sustainability experts, and national account program managers, our passion for data-driven sustainability drives us toward a singular goal: to reduce waste through the salvation of unwanted items. Our goal is to take valuable products current being driven hundreds of miles and burned and have them be used for their original purpose in local communities.
At Smarter Sorting: We do what it takes. We are driven to become experts. We are not jerks. We are real. We have grit. A healthy culture is key to our company’s success and more importantly our employees’ happiness. Our core values drive our culture and in turn, we achieve our vision.
Better decisions. Better data. Greener planet. All made possible by the best people. Come join our team!
Smarter Sorting is looking for a VP of Product to own the strategic direction of our data products and manage our world-class team to fulfill this vision. This person will lead and manage a team of Product Managers to own, build and ship the best products to achieve our mission. This person will work closely with the Chief Product Officer to develop meaningful, measurable and specific goals for the product roadmap.
By building and implementing formal processes, this leader will increase clarity and efficiency both internally and externally. Smarter Sorting needs a VP of Product who can execute for the immediate needs while also laying the groundwork for our long-term strategic vision.
To be successful in this role, our VP of Product should be an empowering and transparent leader who brings cohesion and coordination to the top of the company, allowing the team to deliver an impeccable product for our retail customers.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Setting product deliverables and measurables for the Product Management team
- Managing, coaching and mentoring team members with a regular cadence to inform team alignment and growth
- Direct product development efforts on a project basis using quality tools to deliver value added services to customers
- Oversee the day-to-day product roadmap for Smarter Sorting’s suite of products, with a heavy focus on workflow-driven hardware & software that helps our customers better sort and manage products
- Work cross-functionally with the CPO to set and review priorities and create documentation for product initiatives and processes
- Support and empower product owners to hit deadlines, manage expectations and proactively communicate project status to other departments
Your Experience + Skills
- 5+ years of experience managing product teams, preferably at a technology startup
- 2+ years of experience working with hardware and/or software products, preferably in data acquisition in the retail industry
- 1+ years of experience rolling out a product to market, preferably at a data company
- BA degree preferred, but not required
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, Wrike or similar project management tools a plus
- Comfortable querying data with tools such as Kibana
- Strong IQ and emotional intelligence required
- Strong problem solving, communication, time management and organizational skills
Your first month
- Learn everything there is to know about our products and fully understand the roadmap
- Become an expert on the hardware, software, data and customer needs
- Listen and learn from the team; get to know the Product Managers and understand what they own and how they work
- Complete a bootcamp to learn about shipping and waste regulations for dangerous goods
Your first 3 months
- Present and implement improvements to processes and people management (e.g., Backlog Grooming, Sprint Planning)
- Develop a first round of strategic recommendations to improve roadmaps and sequencing
- Fully manage the Product Managers with a regular cadence of 1:1s and mentorship to make their hours more productive
Your first 6 months
- Become an active contributor to the global product strategy and roadmap
- Be the subject matter expert on retailer workflows
- Own the execution of the product roadmap
Your Benefits & Perks
Smarter Sorting offers:
-Competitive Compensation Packages
-Medical, dental & vision insurance
-Short-term disability insurance
-Continuing Education & Lunch N Learns
-Volunteering & Special Events (with baby goats in attendance)
-Snacks, drinks, lunches and dinners
Read Full Job Description