Self Financial, Inc. helps consumers establish and build credit history. We are a venture-backed, financial services startup based in Austin, TX. At Self, our mission is to help millions of people build credit and save money on their journey toward financial security.
There are about 100 million people in the US who have low credit scores or who have no access to credit at all. Sadly, there aren’t many options for these people. Most banks aren’t doing anything material to change the situation because it’s not profitable for them to do so. Bad credit or no credit history can be barriers to renting an apartment or getting certain jobs, let alone buying a car or house. And if you can get a loan with a low credit score, you’re very likely to pay a lot more in interest over the life of that loan.
Our team is passionate about challenging the status quo of the credit industry by giving people accessible and affordable tools to take control of their credit. Executing on our mission requires deep collaboration across our teams to ensure our products reach the people who can most benefit from them.
We're looking for people who share a passion for our mission and relate to why we do what we do. At Self, we want to work with people who are driven to tackle challenges, bring unique perspectives, find solutions and help make the financial space a better place for our consumers. We recognize that it takes different people and personalities to make our products – and our company – truly great. We only seek the best.
If you are someone who is equally passionate as we are, we want to chat with you.
About the Role:
As the Director of Product, you'll lead a cross functional product team to deliver and scale our Credit Builder Loan and Secured Credit Card products to millions of consumers, helping them to build credit and save money.
- Partner with the VP of Product and the Leadership team at Self to develop the product strategy and roadmap through planning, prioritizing, managing requirements, and refining to meet the needs of our business and our customers
- Define, analyze and report KPIs that inform the success of products (identify both problem areas & opportunities).
- Work with finance to link KPIs to financial planning.
- Collaborate daily with the development team to define and prioritize user stories
- Cross Departmental Collaboration - Collaborate with functional leaders to insure inputs fit within our Product orgs roadmap and planning processes and has consistent framework/processes
- Monitor and investigate customer feedback and customer support metrics and work closely with user experience resources to research, define, and test UI
- Help evaluate, integrate and manage relationships with external vendors
- Launch new features in collaboration with customer service and overall corporate vision
- Communicate and stakeholder management broadly on decisions, progress and plans
- Work with and mentor the product managers and ensure effective partnership with Marketing Managers, Business Development, Credit Risk, and other key stakeholders to develop and lead successful go-to-market strategies
Skills & Requirements:
- 7+ years experience as a product manager
- 3+ years of experience successfully managing, mentoring, and growing a team of product managers
- Prior experience in Fintech, developing B2C mobile app (scaling data infrastructure plus)
- Communication Skills: Ability to both clearly communicate with the technical teams and present at the executive level, soliciting requirements both internally and externally.
- Analytical Skills: Ability to translate internal and external data needs into clear data requirements and success metrics, and coach product managers
- Author product requirements and specifications, manage project execution and roll out strategy
- Partner with engineering, operations and marketing team to plan, build, launch and manage excellent products
- Strong analytical skills and experience with tools for doing data analysis (competence in SQL plus)
- Experience designing intuitive mobile user interfaces and executing product plans with a well-defined process
- Experience conducting user research to educate product design
- Experience at a fast-growing startup in a cross-functional environment
- Passion for our mission: helping people build credit and save money
There are approximately 100 million people in the US who have low credit scores or who have no access to credit at all. Sadly, they have few options. Most banks and financial institutions don’t make any material effort to address this situation because it’s not profitable for them to do so. Poor credit or a lack of credit history can create major barriers to renting an apartment or getting certain jobs, let alone buying a car or house. Even if you can get a loan, with a low credit score you’re very likely to pay much more in interest and fees over the life of that loan.
Self Financial, Inc. is a venture-backed, financial services startup based in Austin, TX. Our mission is to address this inequity by helping millions of traditionally-underserved people build credit and save money on their journey toward financial security.
In addition to our positive mission, we also foster an open, welcoming, and fun culture, and take pride in being one of Austin’s best places to work.
Benefits and Perks:
We have the compensation and benefits you expect. But, there's one thing that Self Financial can offer that many startups cannot: we can positively change the world, while making a profit. Over 64 million adults in the U.S. do not have a credit score because of a lack of credit history. Self is solving this problem with creative technology solutions and partnerships.
Our perks include:
- Competitive Pay
- Self pays 100% of employee's monthly medical, dental and vision benefit costs and a portion of dependent insurance coverage
- Buy up options available, costs vary across benefit type
- 401(k) Plan available to full-time employees to save for retirement
- Self pays 100% of Life/AD&D/Short-Term and Long-Term Disability insurance premium costs for all full-time employees
- Enjoy our flexible vacation policy
- Company paid education and training programs
- Free at-home workout through Sworkit and Gold's Gym membership
- Plenty of snacks and drinks provided at the office
- Casual dress code
- Team building, happy hours and events (Online now, due to pandemic)
- Downtown Austin office space (Our offices are partially open)
- Remote work arrangements (due to the pandemic)
- Monthly $100 COVID stipend for full time employees through 6/2021
How we act with each other is how we act with our customers. We are direct, transparent and respectful, and we hope you embrace that approach.
Self Financial requires all employees hired to successfully pass a background check.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.