Senior Scrum Master
What Is Cool About This Job
Is one of your superpowers evolving groups of engineers into highly gelled teams that can tackle any challenge? Do you have a caring heart and a knack for asking the right question at the right time? Are you constantly challenging the team to improve its test coverage, working with the Product Owner to ensure that stories are ready for sprint planning, and advising the engineering manager on how to celebrate our wins? If this is calling out to you, let us know. We want you as our Scrum Master!
You'll be the head coach for ~2 development teams focused on any number of customer-inspired initiatives, from key infrastructure enhancements to new product offerings. Your teams will use technologies like Kubernetes, Docker, Golang, Ansible, BigQuery, and cutting-edge cloud platforms to deliver on our customer promise of fast, secure, and highly available WordPress digital experiences.
The Day to Day
- Support and challenge your teams to deliver world-class software solutions by promoting agile practices, preventing interruptions and distractions, and removing impediments.
- Facilitate daily stand-ups, sprint planning meetings, retrospectives, sprint reviews, and backlog refinement sessions.
- Cultivate an environment of transparency, continuous improvement, and team empowerment so that your teams reach their full potential for productivity, engagement, and morale.
- Elevate our agile mindset and delivery by serving as an inspiring leader and mentor in WP Engine's Scrum Master Community of Practice.
- Track and analyze team performance data, and coach your teams to plan for and achieve incremental improvements.
Your Expertise and Passion
- 5+ years experience working in an agile environment.
- 3+ years experience in a Scrum Master / Agile Coach role.
- Experience working with teams focused on backend / platform applications.
- Experience working with distributed teams.
- Proven track record of guiding skeptical, challenged teams to health and high performance.
- Active CSM, A-CSM, or CSP certification.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Successful candidates are strong in these capabilities:
- You are a true Servant Leader and naturally put the needs of your team ahead of those of your own.
- (Influence) Ability to influence, persuade, and "sell" at all levels of the organization.
- (Assertiveness) Ability to drive agile and Scrum best practices and to be the voice of reason and honesty in uncomfortable situations.
- (Problem Solving) Ability to think and act quickly, in the best interests of our teams, the company, and our customers.
- (Facilitation) Ability to lead Scrum events, drive people toward consensus, and maintain focus on achieving desired outcomes.
- (Presentation Skills) Ability to create and deliver presentations to internal audiences of various sizes and types.
- (Written and Verbal Communication) Ability to communicate in a manner that is professional, educational, and mindful of audience.
- (Conflict Resolution) Ability to facilitate healthy discussions and uncover alternate approaches or points of view.
- (Active Listening) Ability to truly listen, understand, and engage the team based on feedback.
- (Self-Improvement) Ability to seek continual growth in your craft, learning new tools and techniques to advance your skills.
The Perks and Benefits
- Compensation (We offer market competitive salaries)
- Stock Options (Every employee is an owner in the company)
- Health Benefits (100% Paid Employee Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- 401(k) (Make the most of retirement)
- Life and Disability Insurance (100% Paid Life, STD, LTD and AD&D)
- Generous Vacation Time (Who doesn't like time off?)
- Transportation (Downtown parking or commuter reimbursement)
- Lunch (Provided Monday – Thursday)
- Gym membership discount