Technical Program Manager 2
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia, Inc. family of brands. HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online.
About our Secure Communications Platform Team:
Easily finding the perfect vacation spot or the perfect Traveler is what drives our team forward. So seamless and secure communications between our Travelers, Home-owners or Property managers across multiple channels (email, SMS, voice, chat and mobile push) is deeply important. Our Secure Communications Platform handles over 1.5 million requests per day. It is designed to be flexible and is built to scale as the volume is expected to more than double in the next few years.
The future of the Communication Platform will use natural language processing (NLP) to help identify violations of the HomeAway terms of agreement and other communication offenses. Using modern machine learning algorithms to identify violators and other scammers we will make communication safer and provide a better experience for both owners and travelers in an ever growing marketplace.
Our Engineering teams solves problems of scale and work on groundbreaking, cloud based and open-source technologies every single day. Our culture is one that strives to solve difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing, empowering employees to come up with their own observations and ideas for improvements.
Summary of the role:
We are seeking a Technical Program Manager 2 who is passionate about agile software development, the travel marketplace, customer experience who wants to be part of a highly functional, collaborative and motivated agile team of experienced world-class engineers and product managers.
Your work will be instrumental in delivering new features that impact a huge customer base daily. These changes directly effect our bottom line maintain the advantage in our marketplace.
Specific deliverables can include:
- You will handle the portfolio lifecycle and solutions from sprint planning to end-user adoption
- Partner with product and engineering lead(s) to ensure the team’s roadmap and backlog priorities enable a smooth agile development process and minimize blockers
- Instill and operate a change management process with product management and engineering leads
- Monitor development velocity and facilitate the resolution of risks and blockers
- Collaborate with the product manager(s) and engineering teams to ensure epics and user stories are clearly defined and properly phased to facilitate timely delivery of functionality
- Lead communication and solution delivery across cross-functional operating teams
- Communicate status, risks with resolution plan, upcoming achievements, and recent releases to leadership teams
- Manage resolution of urgent engineering issues while communicating changes to all business partners
- Work with the engineering and product leadership teams so that they are engaged and informed on strategic and day to day planning decisions
Required skills and experience:
- You should have 8+ years industry experience as a technical product management or program management within a technology environment, with a dynamic record of successful delivery of complex software systems or services.
- High level of initiative, passion, and desire to create a best-in-class user experience for travelers and partners.
- Excellent written and spoken interpersonal skills, including presentation and listening skills with the ability to present complex concepts to highly engineering and non-engineering partners
- Familiar with web-based product development including software development processes, n-tiered architectures, service oriented architectures, data organization, and performance optimization.
- Proven understanding of a broad array of software development models and history of shipping software products using Agile methodologies.
- Demonstrated experience with complex information architecture and ability to operate in highly technical environment.
- Experience gathering business requirements and turning them into detailed technical requirements.
- Possess a high degree of competency with project management including: project planning, issue and risk identification and management, tracking dependencies and achievements, and communication of overall project status
- Be able to work across teams to drive the implementation of new features as well as resolve operational issues.
- Ability to mentor others through periods of change in the strategy, or organization
- Bachelors in computer science or engineering.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electric, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress code
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.