Underwriting Project Lead at Hippo Insurance
Role: Underwriting Project Lead
Location: Austin, TX
Reports To: Director of Underwriting
Hippo is modernizing the $100B home insurance industry by putting customers at the center of everything we do, from the coverage we offer to the customer service we provide. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping people protect their homes to begin with by leveraging technology and data to help find small issues before they become big headaches. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
Hippo treats its team members with the same level of dedication and care as we do our customers. Our CEO, Assaf Wand, views this company as an opportunity to care for one another like a family, which is why we’re fortunate to provide all of our Hippos with:
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly).
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Little Hippos Program- We reimburse our team members up to $25k for adoption costs and up to $50k for infertility treatments. Plus, we offer 12 weeks parental leave for primary caregivers and 6 weeks for secondary caregivers.
- Hippo Meals & Snacks- We cater lunch in our office 3 times a week and we provide all the snacks & drinks our Hippos can handle daily.
- Hippo Habitat- Our beautiful, historic offices are located in downtown Austin at the corner of 6th & Congress.
About This Role
We’re seeking an experienced insurance underwriting professional who is willing to think outside the box with a whole new approach to policy underwriting. This position will be cross-functional and work hand in hand with our Product, Claims, Support and Risk Management organizations to maximize profitable growth and expansion.
- You love thinking outside the box, have a naturally innovative philosophy for finding solutions to complex problems
- Highly collaborative and enjoy working with others
- Recommend, coordinate, and assist implementation of strategic underwriting objectives and risk management techniques that support profitability and growth
- Help oversee industry research and analysis of potential vendors that support Hippos strategic underwriting objectives
- Build and maintain underwriting quality and operational enhancements to maximize efficiencies
- Evaluate measurement controls, identify trends, and make recommendations for process improvement that will lead to reduced loss ratios
- Provide ad hoc insurance product support for regulatory filings, compliance, and underwriting related audits
- 5+ years’ experience in Property or Homeowner’s underwriting is required
- Technical expertise in risk selection
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced and diverse environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and directed; ability to collaborate is a must, but you will be autonomous and expected to succeed without heavy direction
- Strong intellectual curiosity and a desire to help others solve problems
- Flexible and willing to do what is needed to get great work done
- A natural inclination to work within a culture that is fast-paced and dynamic
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PPT, etc.)
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.