Business Development Manager at BigCommerce (Austin, TX or Remote)
BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
The Strategic Business Development (SBD) team forges and cultivates partnerships with leading solution providers that empower our clients to sell more. We partner with the world's leading organizations (Facebook, Amazon, Google, FedEx, PayPal, Stripe and so many more) to enable success for BigCommerce merchants.
The SBD team is looking for a Business Development Manager to create partnerships that drive Small Business merchants onto the BigCommerce platform at scale. In this role, you will be responsible for identifying and forging partnerships with companies that serve small businesses early in their life stage, when they are likely to be considering selling products online. These small business solution providers often see benefit in expanding their suite of offerings to include ecommerce in order to increase market competitiveness, and offer a robust set of solutions to their customers to help them launch and grow.
In this role, you will:
- Identify partner companies that provide services/solutions to SMBs such that referring or reselling BigCommerce is complementary and additive to their offering.
- Present the vision that the partner will be even more successful in attracting and retaining SMB customers if they include BigCommerce as an offering alongside their core solutions.
- Negotiate deal terms and close partnership agreements in collaboration with BigCommerce’s legal team and Business Development leadership.
- Create turnkey materials aka a “Playbook” to kick off the partnership and get the partner active in referring or reselling BigCommerce.
- In conjunction with our Revenue Operations team, track and report on the success of these partnerships, using that data to optimize by partner, and optimize the program overall.
You’ll be accountable for a great deal of outreach to companies that are prospects for this kind of partnership. The successful candidate will have a validated skills in creativity to gain the prospects’ attention, secure meetings and clearly articulate the value proposition for the prospective partner in working with BigCommerce.
You’ll also collaborate closely and cross-functionally with BigCommerce’s legal team, Partner Marketing and Revenue Operations to successfully navigate the deal process and partner activation.
You ideally have a commerce / partnerships / sophisticated sales / deal-making background and bring an ability to communicate and collaborate with a broad range of partners, including both internal and external senior executives. Most importantly, you are revenue oriented, a self-starter, with a consistent track record of problem solving and meeting revenue targets through thoughtful prospecting, efficient articulation of the joint value proposition of the partnership, and effective deal closure.
This role reports to the Director of Strategic Growth Partnerships, alongside business development managers who focus on geographic regions (APAC and LATAM). While your peers on this team focus on geos, you’ll focus on the strategic business partnerships that drive SMBs at scale to BigCommerce.
- 4-5 years of related experience with a minimum of 3+ years experience in sourcing, developing and negotiating partnerships (incl. directly collaborating with legal teams).
- A passion for and experience with the ecommerce industry, including understanding the partner mix, merchant needs and industry trends.
- Experience with or a strong curiosity about SMB ecosystem, understanding the unique needs of early-stage businesses, and the power of partnership with SMBs at scale.
- A consultative sales mind that flourishes with challenges and has a validated history of successfully and consistently achieving revenue quotas and objectives.
- Strong communication abilities, with excellent, effective written and verbal presentation and partner relationship experience.
- Calm under pressure; you are able to remain collected and focused given how quickly the industry tends to evolve.
- A thick skin. This role requires outreach to far more prospective partners than those that will eventually sign a deal with us. That’s ok, perseverance is key, and the wins will be there.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Passion for, and the ability to travel for business, including experience driving success from industry events, conferences, etc.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.
Learn more about the BigCommerce team, culture and benefits at https://careers.bigcommerce.com.