Manager, Customer Success SMB Accounts at Levelset
If you read the below description and feel this position excites you, but your experience does not add up 100%, we encourage you to still apply and tell us why! We look forward to learning what makes you passionate and purposeful.
Responsibilities of the Manager of Customer Success SMB Accounts
Optimize Customer Journey: Work closely with CS Operations and Expansion Account Managers to proactively engage customers throughout their journey to increase usage of entire suite of products and services. Leverage milestone celebrations, reporting and other tools to increase customer “WOW” moments.
Drive Value for Customers: At Levelset, we are obsessed with our customers - and making sure that they achieve their desired outcomes. The manager in this role will work closely with the CSMs and EAMs to make sure that value leads every conversation. This is not about the value we can get from our customers - it’s about the value they receive from our services and how we can always help them get more. This involves working cross functionally with support, product, product marketing and enablement to make sure that team members understand our offerings and are translating that to value on calls.
Lead cross-functionally to drive customer success: The SMB function works closely with our support team,CS Operations team, SMB sales teams, Expansion Account Management teams, and many others. A successful person in this role will be a consensus builder, and will be proactive in reaching out to solve problems identified and take steps to pivot when the plan isn’t working, and celebrate the bright spots when things are working. This includes working closely on the the Sales to Customer Success hand-offs, objection handling conversations, identifying expansion opportunities and creating a strong product feedback loop.
Own Key metrics (engagement, renewals, retention): This role needs to own these numbers and be confident presenting these numbers to other managers across the org, and monitor pipelines for potential red flags. This role also works with the team to be accountable for the numbers - celebrate when we hit our numbers, and when it’s not working, call it out and come up with solutions to get the team where they need to be. This position needs to coach team members to their metrics at an individual and team level.
Coach: Levelset has a culture of continuing education and intellectual curiosity. It is the manager’s responsibility to foster that culture of learning through direct coaching on the front lines. The team is hungry for knowledge and is eager to improve professionally, and the manager is the custodian of each team members’ professional growth. This requires deliberate coaching in 1:1 sessions, in group settings, and indirectly through tools like ExecVision, Slack, ChurnZero or Salesforce. The coaching topics covered by the manager include relationship management/lifecycle management, objection handling, upsell opportunity identification, renewal conversations and risk identification. The manager provides feedback on strengths and growth areas, gives reps external resources to learn from, and creates an environment that is consistent with the core values of the company.
Example activities: 1:1 call coaching, call shadowing, call camp sessions, renewal reviews.
Motivate: Customer Success Management is rewarding but difficult as it requires juggling multiple priorities. There are good days and bad days, good months and bad months. The manager guides the team through the bumps, keeps the energy high, and keeps the morale positive and steady. Over-performing CSMs and under-performing CSMs alike need leadership to maintain focus for the team to execute its plan. The manager is responsible for steering the emotional wheel of the team, and to drive the team through the highs and lows that are so common in the customer lifecycle. This requires vision and conviction about the direction of the company and of the team, and it requires innovation to design creative ways to keep the mood light and the environment fun. The manager is on the CS floor, running CS competitions, recognizing good performance, sussing out negative influences, and inspiring individuals to take on new challenges and to expand their skill set.
Example activities: Renewal competitions, set individual and team goals, team building events and celebrations.
Hire the right people : Perhaps the most important responsibility of the team manager is to recruit and evaluate potential new hires. The manager is part of the hiring team and is on the front lines of choosing who joins the team and who does not. This requires a leader’s approach to identify the characteristics that are most important to hire for and refining processes that elevate the candidates that are the best fit. Additionally, the manager is also responsible for identifying existing CSMs who are a poor fit for the team, and evaluating whether Levelset should continue to invest in the CSM or if the CSM should be terminated.
As Manager, SMB Customer Success Manager Team, You Will:
Lead a team of SMB CSMs to successfully manage the customer lifecycle, identify qualified upsell opportunities, set meetings, close annual renewals and run coaching camps and do live shadowing to guide members. You will be the team’s advocate, and help keep them on a path to success.
- 1:1 call coaching for CSMs - Kick off calls, objection handling, growth discovery, value propositions
- Group coaching sessions and training presentations, ie: call camp, writing camp
- Pipeline reviews and forecasting team production for renewals, churn and engagement
- Setting individual and team goals
- Organizing and executing team events and celebrations
- Monitor individual performance metrics and coach underperformers into solid production
- Interview prospective MM CSM candidates, participate as a member of the hiring team in developing the candidate criteria and recruit passive candidates.
- Evaluate performances by monitoring reports and uphold a culture of CS excellence through performance plans and terminations
What does it take to do this job?
- 1+ Customer Success Experience preferred
- 2+ years managing/leading a team
- Expertise in cs/sales tools; salesforce.com, ChurnZero, ExecVision preferred
- Detailed understanding of proactive relationship management
- Self-confident with the ability to work with and influence senior management
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships, gaining trust and confidence as a strategic partner from all levels within the organization
- Very strong work ethic and team player with a positive “figure it out, do what it takes” attitude
- Strong problem solving, organizational, and communication skills
- Grace under fire (you can make critical decisions and problem solve amid chaos)
Levelset has been named one of the "Best Places to Work" by New Orleans CityBusiness three years in a row for our mission-driven culture and commitment to internal and external growth. Backed by venture funding, we are growing rapidly and looking for new exciting team members to add their unique talents to our mission. We empower contractors to always get what they earn, and our software platform makes lien rights, payment paperwork, and compliance in the construction industry simple and stress-free, so contractors and suppliers can get paid faster, have easier access to capital, and less surprises.
Levelset is venture-backed by Horizons Ventures, S3 Ventures, Altos Ventures, and Brick & Mortar Ventures. Levelset is headquartered in New Orleans, Louisiana, with offices in Austin, Texas, and Cairo, Egypt, and is 200+ employees strong.
- We’re a rapidly growing team working on interesting and worthwhile problems
- With a newly distributed workforce, we make engagement and employee wellness even more of a priority. We want you to love your job!
- We believe professional growth (i.e. building your skills) is essential. Working here provides the opportunity for increased responsibility, continuous learning, and more.
- We have a very welcoming culture that starts at the top with our CEO.
- Nothing is a secret here, we think honesty and transparency create a productive workplace.
- Recognition for hard work and demonstrating our core values is important to us.
- Competitive health benefits, including mental, emotional, and behavioral health benefits and an easy to use Employee Assistance Program.
- Flexible sick & personal leave policy needed for health, family, and parenting during this tough time.
- Open vacation policy without a cap on the number of days-off. We do require employees to take a minimum of 5 days off in a row each year.
- Subsidized International Travel: We subsidize international travel starting at 6 months, and increasing each year
- Equity, per company’s general stock grant plan
- 401k account through Betterment which allows you to seamlessly save money for retirement directly from your paycheck
- Learning and Development Opportunities: In the spirit of our core value to Learn Enough, we offer a book reimbursement program. If you share what you learned from a book with the team, we'll reimburse you for it. We also provide ample room for learning and development opportunities through Coursera online courses, outside speakers, and opportunities to learn skills from your colleagues.
Levelset is committed to providing an environment where any and all people feel welcome, respected, and free to be their authentic selves. We welcome applicants of all gender identities, sexual orientation, educational background, religion, ethnicities, veteran status, and citizenships