Role: Property Adjuster
Location: Austin, TX
Reports To: Claims Manager
Hippo is a VC-funded startup headquartered in Palo Alto, California, with Insurance Headquarters in Austin, Texas. Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using AI, aerial imagery, smart home devices, and beautiful UI/UX, we strive to provide clients with nothing less than the best coverage, best value and best customer service in the industry.
This approach is clearly resonating with homeowners. Hippo has grown 25% a month, has a customer satisfaction score of more than double the industry average and insures more than $90B in property value. We’re looking for the very best talent in the world to help us continue to find new ways of fundamentally redefining the role insurance plays in people’s lives.
About This Role
We’re seeking an experienced Property Adjuster to handle homeowner claims involving multiple states. You’ll be able to use your expert discernment in handling each case, but you’ll also have a team to rely on in order to help come up with innovative solutions. Hippo is proud to leverage technology to be able to process claims expeditiously, which means little to no travel is required. Day to day, this Property Adjuster will work with customers over the phone to provide excellent customer service and coordinate the inspection process as well as payments for losses.
- Empathetic, dedicated to understanding the needs of our customers
- Critical Thinker, has the ability to recognize irregularities and prevent fraud
- Enthusiastic about working for a company focused on disrupting the norm
- Team player who enjoys helping and developing others
- Overachiever who is driven to exceed expectations
- Makes prompt contact with customers to set expectations, develop an action plan, and perform an initial exposure assessment
- Investigates claim damages and situation using internal and external resources
- Determines policy coverage through analyzing investigation data and policy terms
- Explains coverage to policyholders providing excellent customer service
- Assign vendors for field work
- Maintains electronic records that accurately and thoroughly document all file handling activity
- Determines and negotiates settlement amounts for damages claimed within assigned authority limits, escalating to management if need be or issuing payments accordingly
- Ensures regular and timely follow-up and brings claims to prompt and appropriate conclusion while keeping the customer informed throughout the life cycle of the claim process
- Minimum 3-5 years experience in desk adjusting
- Texas adjusters license required
- Strong understanding of claims processes and policy language
- Property background is strongly preferred
- Self-motivated and directed; ability to collaborate is a must, but you will be autonomous and expected to succeed without heavy direction
- Flexible and willing to do what is needed to get great work done
- A natural inclination to work within a culture that is fast-paced and dynamic
- Superb phone skills and quality customer experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Compensation and Perks
- Beautiful offices located in downtown Austin, TX
- We have a kitchen full of free snacks and we provide catered lunch 3 times a week!!!
- Amazing benefits including options for 100% employer paid premiums for medical, dental & vision for the employee AND their family
- Flexible PTO
- Full time salary based on experience and equity in a fast-growing startup
- Fun, start-up environment -- casual dress, events, etc.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.