At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Role
We are looking for a Technical Business Developer to build, develop and maintain relationships with strategic eyeball networks, metro and long-haul backbone providers, and internet exchanges. You will be part of the Network Strategy team under Infrastructure, a team that specializes in building relationships that allow Cloudflare’s network to continue to scale across the globe. Our group takes a long-term, technical approach to forging mutually beneficial and sustainable relationships with our portfolio of suppliers. The team engages internal and external stakeholders to build a better Internet through the horizontal and vertical expansion of our network.What you'll do
- Identify, organize, and lead teams and stakeholders responsible for bandwidth acquisition strategies on a global scale with transport, transit, and peering providers.
- Develop and execute complex negotiations to deliver bandwidth partnerships that increase our throughput and ability to scale
- Build industry and community engagement to deepen perspective on supplier capabilities, market rates and future looking synergies, e.g., building a global market book on capabilities and rates
- Become a trusted advisor to the business by reporting on market data, making purchasing decisions, reporting findings and delivering sourcing recommendations; track cost-saving initiatives and perform total cost of ownership (TCO) analysis
- Own supplier relationships, contracts, inventory and utilization to ensure optimal levels are achieved
- Lead large-scale sourcing initiatives via formal RFI/RFP processes.
- Identify metrics, tools, and processes to optimize sourcing activities and efficiencies and work collaboratively with team members to prioritize and drive implementation
- Review/approve interconnectivity spend & invoices
- Have a deep technical and commercial understanding of Internet infrastructure
- 6+ years of experience building for redundancy and diversity with Internet networks and/or data center infrastructure, particularly in leading large infrastructure sourcing and negotiation projects
- Understanding of project management and experience managing projects via Jira ticketing system
- Current and relevant knowledge of the global infrastructure market and its trends with the ability to back it up with industry references
- Demonstrated success managing and/or building a global sourcing and procurement organization
- Thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility, manage complex projects across multiple teams across multiple time zones within set deadlines
- Ability to influence change and work with ambiguity
- Confidence in communication with senior leaders
- Superb problem-solving and relationship-building skills in complex supplier and internal customer relationship environments
- Proven negotiation skills and a track record in value creation for all parties
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong financial and business problem-solving acumen
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
220.127.116.11: We released 18.104.22.168 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.