Tech Reporter, Features at Built In
Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. To help our partners attract qualified talent, we create content that tells their story in a way no job post ever could — and we put their jobs in front of people who were born to do them. Our audience of sought-after candidates use Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content, networking at our events and applying to jobs at companies they believe in.
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, and Nationwide.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.We're looking for a Tech Reporter, Features (Chicago or Remote in one of our featured cities)
The Tech Reporter will be responsible for writing 2+ news features a week, and additional, timely longer-form features on trends and broad topics in the technology industry as needed. This person will need to be highly skilled in both research and interviewing, and endlessly curious about tech innovations and what they say about the future.
You’d be joining a growing team responsible for telling bold and original stories that help an audience of tech professionals learn and build new things. You’ll collaborate closely with other members of the team to discover new approaches, formats and perspectives. Additionally, you'll be joining a company that enthusiastically invests in office culture, whether that means shuffleboard, a D&D campaign, free lunches, snacks or cold brew on tap.Who you are
- Highly skilled in researching and interviewing and won’t hesitate to ask questions
- Full of ideas and excitement for writing about tech industry news, whether it’s announcing a nascent startup’s latest funding, exploring the latest foodtech fads or explaining the ramifications of an IPO
- Can think both holistically and analytically about your work
- Knows how to use analytics to inform decision-making
- Has familiarity with the tech and business beats and their daily news cycles
- 2+ years of full-time news writing and reporting experience, with an emphasis on feature writing between 1,000-3,000 words in length.
- Excellent writing and editing skills (please include 2-3 writing samples when applying)
- Ability to work out of Chicago, New York or San Francisco
- Why Silicon Valley companies are coming to Colorado to fuel growth
- The future of AI is here. Regulations? Not so much
- How fake meat captured the tech world's imagination
- Office-dog curious? Here’s how leading tech companies make it work
- The Secrets to Designing a Curiosity-Driven Career
- Operating with Focus: Putting the 5-Day Design Sprint into Practice
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.