Analyst, Portfolio Management at Amherst
Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
Analyst, Portfolio Management – Austin, TX
Amherst is a real estate private equity firm with multiple equity and debt strategies. Holistically, Amherst currently has AUM of $5.8bn across our debt and equity strategies. Amherst Holdings real estate private equity business was established in 2012 after multiple decades in the residential mortgage securities investment banking business. Amherst’s private equity business has grown from 34 employees in 2012 to 900+ today. Amherst continues to grow rapidly to capitalize on increasing industry opportunities.
Real Estate Private Equity:
Our Single Family Residential Equity strategy (Amherst Residential) has quickly scaled over the last 5 years to own and operate 20,000+ homes in 30 markets across 21 states while building a vertically integrated real estate investment and operating platform. Across the SFR strategy, Amherst has raised almost $2.5bn in equity and arranged approximately $5.7bn in debt financing over the last five years and is currently investing more than $150mm a month in single-family real estate assets.
Real Estate Private Credit:
The four-year-old Commercial Real Estate Lending strategy combines a veteran debt team with unique pricing analytics to source, underwrite, structure and asset manage loans backing all types of CRE assets across the US
Our Capital Management team oversees all capital transactions including structuring & execution, debt and equity fundraising, balance sheet management, financial planning & analysis, liability management, portfolio management, and strategic initiatives such as business development and mergers & acquisitions. Within Capital Management, the Portfolio Management team interacts directly with investors to provide feedback on both portfolio performance and individual assets. They thoroughly understand nuanced investor strategies and drive / monitor progress within the Company towards realizing investor goals.
- Support portfolio management team which oversees over $4 billion in AUM across 10+ strategies.
- Provide analysis to drive strategic decision making in areas such as portfolio composition, financing/capital structure, operational performance, and growth/exit opportunities.
- Coordinate across functional groups within Amherst, including Asset Management, Acquisitions, FP&A, Treasury, Asset-Liability Management, Accounting, Investor Relations and Structuring & Execution for recurring and ad hoc investor requests and internal initiatives.
- Present monthly and quarterly to SVP of Portfolio Management on portfolio progression (operational variance analysis including actual vs estimates, portfolio vs platform, platform vs peers).
- Articulate economic impact of revenue and expense functions within single-family residential real estate.
- Develop a detailed understanding for assigned portfolio strategies.
- Validate the accuracy of reporting for internal and external stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- One to Three (1-3) years of experience in finance, accounting, investment banking, or private equity, preferably with exposure to real estate
- Mature knowledge of business modeling in excel and the ability to read financial statements and disclosures
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, specifically with Excel and PowerPoint
- Current CFA or CFA in progress is a plus
- Interested candidates need demonstrated abilities to:
- Quickly model, chart, and present in PowerPoint required performance reviews
- Interact professionally with institutional investors
- Interpret and understand term sheets and legal disclosure such as transaction documents and loan agreements
- Shift gears with emerging data points and proactively manage expectations, suggesting solutions when problem arise
- Deliver high quality work product in a timely fashion with attention to detail
- Interpret and present analysis thoughtfully
- Take initiative to work independently and as part of a team
- Think strategically and creatively
- Seek out, understand and follow developing industry trends
What we offer:
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO, 8 paid holidays
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- Relaxed casual environment and weekly/quarterly office events!
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.