This Role: Everyone on the team is expected to have an entrepreneurial spirit and be capable of wearing many hats in highly collaborative environment. As a WFM Data Engineer, you will help tackle and support a diverse landscape of technical data challenges, as we reduce reliance on some legacy technologies, continuing our migration to AWS. You will play a key role in translating business requirements into systems and concepts in partnership with technology leaders within the team, from Amazon, and across the business.
A successful candidate will:
- Work with ambiguity. You are collaborative while independently trusted to design, implement, and deploy data solutions for which the logical data model and requirements might not be well defined, or the requirements are defined as code in a legacy system which requires some translation. You solve difficult problems generating positive feedback.
- Have a desire to influence mid-size data solutions by enabling correct processes and access to data in the team's chosen architecture. You have established good working and mentoring relationships with teammates and peers. You recognize discordant views and take part in constructive dialogue to resolve them.
- Be ready to advise your fellow Engineers, Product Managers, and Manager. Your work is consistently of a high quality (e.g., secure, testable, maintainable, low-defects, efficient, well documented etc.) and incorporates best practices. Your team trusts your work.
- Show up with technical acumen. You have a solid understanding of data design patterns and approaches and how to best use them. You will understand and contribute to the team's data architecture mission and be insightful as to when to make technical trade-off decisions at dataset(s) level.
- Build and optimize logical data models and data pipelines for difficult datasets. Your data model and code reviews for tend to be rapid and uneventful. You provide useful review comments for changes submitted by others.
- Have the desire to make a lasting impact on analytics and self-service access to datasets, continually increasing business effectiveness. You focus on operational excellence, constructively identifying problems and proposing solutions, taking on projects that improve your team data tools, continually striving to making them better and easier to maintain. You can confidently train new teammates about your customers' needs, and your team's practices. You know how each of our tools are constructed, tested, operate, and how they fit into the bigger picture (The Everclear Proj ect) .
- Be mindful of making improvements to your team's development processes. You establish automated processes which meet SLAs and define patterns which pass data compliance and certification standards.
- Keep the lights on. While we are moving quickly into our future, we do have existing ETL and SQL platforms, for which you will be ready to learn about and contribute to their support .
- 3+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or in a similar role
- Experience with data modeling, data warehousing, and building ETL pipelines
- Experience scripting custom processes in Python, Java or equivalent
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field or 7+ years industry experience
- Relevant experience in analytics, data engineering, business intelligence, market research or related field
- Experience gathering business requirements, using industry standard business intelligence tool(s} to extract data, formulate metrics and build reports
- Experience using SQL, ETL and databases with large-scale, complex datasets
- Curious and focused on continuous improvement (self and systems}
- Graduate degree in computer science, business, mathematics, statistics, economics, or other quantitative field
- Both technically deep and business savvy enough to interface with all levels and disciplines within the organization
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects across functional teams, including Tech, product management, marketing, finance, and operations
- Knowledge of Advanced SQL and a programming language
- Experience with data visualization using Tableau or similar tools
- Experience with large-scale data warehousing and analytics projects, including using AWS technologies- Redshift, S3, EC2, Data-pipeline and other big data technologies
- Proven track record of successful communication of analytical outcomes through written communication, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.