Data Engineer Manager at Ascension
Ascension Information Services is one of the nation’s largest healthcare information technology services organizations.
We provide Ascension and its subsidiaries low-cost, high-value IT infrastructure and software application services that:
- Support rapid and effective clinical decision making
- Improve efficiency and care transitions
- Foster information sharing across the continuum of care
- Make knowledge and data actionable, leading to improved patient outcomes
What You Will Do
Responsible for managing a data engineering team whose focus is on implementing and standardizing new cloud technologies to support the management of data as a strategic asset, operational cost optimization, and integration with a data governance platform. This management role will split time between hands on development using Python, Java, Spark, and SQL and managerial activities. The role will require working lock step with Data Architecture and focusing on maintaining and creating standards to modularize data frameworks and define patterns for data functionalities. This role will also support the build of modern cloud platform data solutions that are scalable across many disparate systems and result in curated and consumable outputs to support Analytic and Data Science initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have outstanding communication skills, proven data infrastructure design and implementation capabilities, strong business acumen, and an innate drive to deliver results. They will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity and will enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic health care environment.
Qualifications and Education:
Required: Bachelor's in computer engineering or equivalent field or equivalent foreign degree Preferred: Master level technology degree and technology certifications
Required Work Experience:
- 5+ years of experience in an engineering role using Python, Java, Spark, and SQL.
- Expertise with leading, managing and hiring a team of talented engineers.
- Ability to split time between hands on development using Python, Java, Spark and SQL and managerial activities.
- Proven hands on experience developing scalable and repeatable frameworks, patterns, methodologies, and automations and the ability to lead a team of engineers to adopt.
- Experience in a large scale, high-volume data warehouse environment.
- Expertise with modern open-source database development skills.
- Cloud Experience in either Azure, AWS, or Google Cloud Platform
- Strong Linux/Unix background and hands on knowledge.
- Past experience with big data technologies including HDFS, Spark, Impala, Hive.
- Experience with Shell scripting and bash.
- Experience with version control platform github
- Experience unit testing code.
- Experience with development ecosystems including Jenkins, Artifactory, CI/CD, and Terraform.
- Have a solid understanding of both relational and NoSQL database technologies.
- Ability to provide an engineering team instruction on day-to-day work and general direction on more complex tasks and projects
- Ability to clearly communicate and articulate results to both technical and
- non-technical audiences.
- Agile experience and the ability to collaborate with the scrum team to produce the best possible end products.
- Experience contributing to and leveraging jira and confluence.
- Leads complex projects/activities on a regular basis
- Exercises independent judgment on complex issues regarding job and related tasks
- Makes recommendations to leadership on new processes, tools and techniques, or development of new products and services
- Makes decisions regarding daily priorities for a work group; provides guidance to and/or assists staff on non-routine or escalated issues
- Collaborates with senior professionals in the development of methods, techniques and analytical approach
- Ability to advise leadership on approaches to optimize for data platform success.
- Able to effectively communicate highly technical information to numerous audiences, including leadership, the user community, and less-experienced staff.
- Consistently communicate on status of project deliverables
- Consistently provide work effort estimates to management to assist in setting priorities
- Deliver timely work in accordance with estimates
- Solve problems as they arise and communicate potential roadblocks to manage expectations
- Adhere strictly to all security policies
Desired Work Experience:
- Experience working with health care data.
- Experience with google cloud platform development tools Pub/sub, cloud storage, big table, big query, data flow, data proc, and composer.
- Coding skills in Scala
- Experience with web services and APIs as in RESTful and SOAP.
- Ability to document designs and concepts
- Metadata extraction pipeline design and creation between raw and finally transformed datasets
- Strong experience working with real time streaming applications and batch style large scale distributed computing applications using tools like Spark, Kafka, Flume, pubsub, and airflow.
- Ability to work with different file formats like Avro, Parquet, and JSON.
- Hands on experience in Analysis, Design, Coding and Testing phases of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
What You Will Need
• High school diploma/GED with 2 years of experience, or Associate's degree, or Bachelor's degree required.
• 3 years of experience required.
• 5 years of experience preferred.
• 1 year of leadership or management experience preferred
Why Join Our Team
When you join Ascension, you join a team of over 160,000 individuals across the country committed to a Mission of serving others and providing compassionate, personalized care to all. Our inclusive culture, continuing education programs, career coaches and benefit offerings are just a few of the resources and tools that team members can use to create a rewarding career path. In fact, Ascension spent nearly $46 million in tuition assistance alone to support associate growth and development. If you are looking for a career where you can grow and make a difference in your community, we invite you to join our team today.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Ascension Technologies is an equal opportunity employer (EEO) and affords equal opportunity to all associates and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status. For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.