COLLABORATE | OPTIMIZE | EVOLVE
As a Data Engineer at A Cloud Guru, you will ensure the data platform infrastructure and architecture supports the evolving requirements of the Data Engineering and Data Analytics teams as well as other parts of our business! You will work closely with the Director of Data Engineering to develop a strategy for our long term Data Platform architecture to identify gaps in the data processes and drive improvements while mentoring and coaching other team members. Thanks to your contributions, our data platform will continue to optimize and revolutionize. This role reports to the Director, Data Engineering.Hello, we're A Cloud Guru
Our friends call us ACG.
We're on a mission to teach the WORLD to cloud. A Cloud Guru is the largest online cloud school on the planet. Our training feels more like logging into Netflix or Spotify - it's entertaining and playful. The people are the #1 reason employees say they stay at ACG. We’re a quirky, tight-knit crew that cares about our customers and each other. No egos here. Our leaders encourage thoughtfulness, compassion, being humble, and we have a bit of fun along the way.
It’s an exciting time to join the team, because we’re in a really unique space. We have an amazing product that people want, and we're in an industry that's tripling in size overnight.What makes the Product & Engineering team awesome...
Learning to cloud means unlocking a world of possibilities for our students. Using the latest tech, we design the tools to teach people cloud faster and better. The team is talented (and a little quirky), and we’re all in it together.
- Cutting edge tech. We've built a cloud-first Serverless Architecture with tools like Lambda, API Gateway, GraphQL, and ReactJS
- Founded by engineers. Having a CEO that is also an engineer is nice, because he knows the effort it takes to make things awesome.
- We're friendly. We're down-to-earth and collaborative. There's no high-performing jerks, there's no heroes, there's just great teams.
- We're hungry, and humble. We are dedicated to learning all the things to create the best product possible.
If you're down to earth and enjoy a laugh while also working hard you'll love it here. - Joanna, Avocado to Guac Ratio Guru (and Product Manager)As a Data Engineer at ACG, you’ll get to:
- Be an essential part of designing and building ACG’s new data platform, as we evolve the existing databases into a cutting-edge solution to meet the needs of our 2021 data plans and beyond
- Explore and contribute to discussions around technologies under consideration, such as Snowflake, Kappa/Lambda architecture, Delta Lakes and Data Vault
- Develop, test and maintain existing architecture, including databases, data pipelines and large-scale processing systems
- Collaborate with the Analytics team on transformation processes to populate data models
- Recommend ways to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality of the data platform and optimise for performance, scalability and cost
- Discover opportunities for data acquisition and explore new ways of using existing data
- Identify gaps in data processes and drive improvements
- Coach and mentor other team members
We focus on hiring values aligned people, because we believe the right person can learn all the things to be successful in their role. Self-confidence plays a big part in what you apply for. We encourage all job applicants to apply even if they are nervous to do so. College degrees aren't required for any roles, and career gaps or switches are totally welcome.
- 2+ years of Data Engineering, Data Warehousing, or related experience
- 2+ years of development experience with Python or similar scripting language
- 2+ years of SQL experience, including experience with schema design and dimensional data modelling
- Experience working with AWS services such as DynamoDB, Glue, Lambda, Step Functions, S3, CloudFormation or Redshift
- Experience with ETL development, metadata management, and data quality
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices with experience with implementing CI/CD, monitoring & alerting for production systems
- Experience with complex data structures and No-SQL databases
- Experience with open source orchestration platforms (e.g. Airflow)
We want the people who care about doing a good job. The ones who have the humility and hunger to learn. - Sam Kroonenburg, Co-Founder and CEOMore than a job
Where you work isn’t just a career decision -- it’s a life decision. We get it. That’s why we want all of our Gurus to feel a sense of belonging that comes from feeling supported in all areas of their lives. Everyone has family, friends and interests outside of their careers, so we offer perks and benefits to make work, work better for you.
- 4 weeks PTO, plus 10 sick days, and holidays. Whether it's hiking to a waterfall in Costa Rica or bonding with your couch, we all need downtime. All Gurus get four weeks paid time off, 10 sick days, and enough holiday to make a banker blush.
- Let's get lunch. Lunches are catered three times per week, and our kitchen stays stocked with a smorgasbord of the team’s most requested snacks and drinks.
- Parking is on us. We have your Downtown parking covered. We offer paid garage parking nearby the office. We also have perks for going green by walking and taking public transit.
- We’ve got you covered. We offer insurance plans that pay for 100% of your medical, dental, and vision, and 80% for your family/dependents.
- Gender-neutral paid parental leave. Expanding your family? We offer 12 weeks of gender-neutral paid parental leave, and reimburse up to $10,000 for eligible adoption expenses.
- $1,000 continuing education budget. All Gurus get $250 a quarter to spend on personal development, and 2 hours each week reserved for learning something new.
The A Cloud Guru team has grown a lot since it was just two brothers with a dream of teaching the world to cloud! We now employ gurus in 30 states of the USA as well as in Australia and the UK. For the time being that’s as far as we can go. We won’t bore you with the details, but setting up the extra operations we would need to employ people in new states or countries is a little bit more expensive than replicating your database in another AZ, if you know what we mean. So as much as we would love to have staff in as many countries as we have students, we are only opening this role to applicants in areas we currently have operations.
If you’re not sure if your US state is included, please still apply! We will let you know if you are in a state that we currently don’t have operations. If anything changes we will reach back out.What’s the interview process like at ACG?
Applying for a job can feel intimidating and like a full-time job of its own. You shouldn’t have to burn through a week of sick time or all your best out-of-office excuses just to put feelers out for a new career opportunity. We want to be as transparent about the process as possible to help ease your mind. It’s our goal to provide you a fair, efficient interviewing experience that respects you and your time — and to do it all with a sidecar of delight.
Once you submit an application, we’ll review it. If you’re a good fit, you’ll have an initial chat with a recruiter over the phone. A phone interview with a manager typically follows. Depending on your role, you might then be asked to do a little homework (but nothing too time consuming). Then we’ll schedule a Zoom call to meet other members of the team, answer any questions you have, and give you a feel for what it’s really like to work at ACG. If you're on the fence, just give it a try.
Keep being awesome, Cloud Gurus.