Executive VP of Data
Come work at Smarter Sorting!
Smarter Sorting helps companies maximize the salvation of unwanted items.
We utilize machine learning and artificial intelligence to create the best decision path for unsalable products. At least 1 in 10 products sold by retailers are returned, unsold or damaged. With a lack of standardized data, retailers are unable to properly classify these products and end up spending millions. These products are disposed of instead of being donated and used for their intended purpose.
Our Point of Reversal Decision Engine helps to find end-markets for these unsaleable items, stops tons of hazardous waste from being incinerated into our atmosphere, and saves our partners lots of money by increasing reuse and automating compliance.
The Smarter Sorting team is made up of top-notch talent who are dedicated to our mission of reducing unnecessary waste. We're determined to build world-class tech that transforms the chemical waste management industry, speeding our advancement towards a zero-waste future. Join our team!
Smarter Sorting is looking for an Executive VP of Data who has experience leading a variety of data teams and has successfully scaled data products with a clear roadmap and vision. Our EVP of Data will manage our data science, acquisitions and platform teams to strategically own two of our main data projects: ACE (Auto-Classification Engineer and PACE (ACE Human Augmentation). ACE is a complex system that utilizes a combination of parsing, boolean logic, chemical analysis, and machine learning. PACE is the human-in-the-loop component to the algorithmic ACE system.
The EVP of Data will play a crucial role in spearheading these projects, ensuring their reliability and preparing them for scale. They must think strategically about complex issues and have the ability to organize their team into successfully designing and executing the roadmap. This individual must excel at getting things done, with a practical, nuts-and-bolts approach to building our data systems. In order to be successful in this role, the EVP of Data must be have emotional intelligence as a leader who can garner the respect of their team while navigating the demands of ACE, customers and the Smarter Sorting executive team.
What You'll Be Doing
- Lead and manage the Data Science, Data Acquisition and Data Platform teams (both internal and offshore)
- Work cross-functionally with the Executive team to define strategic initiatives to support the vision and roadmap for data system execution
- Own the leadership, management and accountabilities for all aspects of the ACE & PACE technologies
- Identify and develop strategic partnerships with 3rd party data acquisition services and vendors
- Coordinate data integration and plumbing
- Execute urgent data grab missions from retailers and retail product suppliers
Your Experience + Skills
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics or other related technical degree
- 5+ years experience leading data teams, ideally in a startup environment
- 5+ years experience of hands-on development and execution of strategic roadmaps, including proven success at building complex data systems from the ground up
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Expert of technical project management
- Excels in presenting technical concepts to executives and customers
- Ability to envision and actualize complex data systems
- Proficient at machine learning modeling, data architecture, Excel & PowerPoint
- Proficient with agile methodologies, human-in-the-loop (i.e. turking)
- Working knowledge of Python, cloud architecture and taxonomy methods
Your first month
- Ramp up on all Smarter Sorting has done to date with respect to data systems
- Fully understand Smarter Sorting’s business model and product roadmap
- Create a strategic plan and roadmap for ACE and PACE
- Become an expert on the rules related to classification on regulated products for transportation and waste management
Your first 3 months
- Launch the minimum viable product for ACE & PACE
- Release the Data Technology Roadmap
- Develop strong working relationships with all team members and build cadence for 1:1’s and team meetings
Your first 6 months
- Become the subject matter expert and the main point of contact for all things ACE & PACE
- Continue to manage and evaluate the data teams and data technology roadmap so that it strategically aligned and successful
- Launch the full-featured ACE & PACE
Your Benefits & Perks
Smarter Sorting offers:
-Competitive Compensation Packages
-Medical, dental & vision insurance
-Short-term disability insurance
-Continuing Education & Lunch N Learns
-Volunteering & Special Events (with baby goats in attendance)
-Snacks, drinks, lunches and dinners
Read Full Job Description