Senior Data Scientist
BlackLocus is an innovation lab operating within The Home Depot, the top home improvement retailer in the world. To stay ahead of the curve, The Home Depot is making a substantial investment in data science, innovation, technology, and design. BlackLocus is contributing to this initiative by providing analytical tools to optimize and automate pricing, assortment, and product info by applying machine learning and revenue management techniques.
Retail is going through an enormous transition where Big Data plays an increasingly prominent role. The successful candidate will be part of the best and the brightest to help The Home Depot navigate the changing retail landscape. We are looking to take analysis and modeling to the next level. The vision for this role is to leverage statistical modeling and machine learning techniques to conceptualize, implement, and execute scientific solutions from the ground up, employing techniques and methods that are appropriate, effective, and leading-edge across the retail industry to drive business decision making.
- Developing data intelligence and in-house knowledge on assortment, clustering, and/or pricing
- Conducting exploratory and solution-focused analysis using store transactions, web traffic, demographic data, etc.
- Lead the design of analytical solutions and work with the engineering team to build scalable applications
- Validate the results and performance of solutions
- Conducting research into new or alternative methods and techniques with healthy ROI potential
- Learning about the core challenges facing The Home Depot and then utilizing data and science to develop efficient and effective solutions
The primary requirement for this role is a solid training and demonstrated expertise in a quantitative field. In addition, candidates for this position need to possess the ability to solve analytical, business, and software problems, think creatively and work effectively with teams of professionals engaged in tackling real-world problems in a timely manner.
- Ph.D. or Masters degree with 3+ years of experience in Statistics, Mathematics, Econometrics, Machine Learning, or related discipline
- Experience in Google Cloud Platform technologies (ex. CMLE, Kubernetes, Apache Beam, Tensorflow, Cloud AutoML, BigQuery, Spark, or Hadoop)
- Solid hands-on experience in developing analytical solutions with Python
- Sound presentation skills in visualizing complicated data science results in Tableau or similar
- Strong team player but also works well independently and proactively
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally with product and engineering teams
- Willing to travel as needed (
- Experience with relational databases (Redshift, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.)
- Advanced skills with Python
- Previous retail/pricing experience
- Experience utilizing Tableau
- Knowledge and use of optimization solvers
- Experience with working in or with Engineering
- Experience in data mining, data analysis and predictive modeling.
- Proven experience utilizing statistical techniques to identify key insights from data to solve business problems
- Excellent work-life balance
- Comprehensive benefit package
- Competitive base and bonus package
- Generous PTO policy
- 401(k) eligible for matching company contribution after one year
- Restricted stock grants and Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Stocked kitchen with healthy snacks, tons of drinks, and an espresso maker
- Lots of team events including weekly catered lunches, happy hours, and other fun outings
- Located in the heart of downtown Austin with garage parking provided
- The Home Depot is an Equal Opportunity Employer