Supply Chain Analyst at Whole Foods Market
The Inventory Analyst (ISA) is primarily responsible for optimizing in-stock rates across multiple Whole Foods Market store locations and categories. Team members in this role will learn to use centralized inventory management tools and database systems to determine and set effective target inventory positions (TIP) that drive store-facing suggested order quantities (SOQs). ISAs will also perform detailed weekly input/output analysis to identify replenishment opportunities and determine solutions. This position reports to the In-Stock Manager and will collaborate regularly with store, region, and global support team members to ensure the successful execution of the inventory management program.
Target Inventory Position Management
• Calculate effective target inventory positions (TIP) that maximize store in-stock rate and minimize shrink
• Determine appropriate forecast quantile inputs to TIP by category/class
• Utilize merchandising presentation data to calculate effective display inventory and safety stock inputs to TIP
• Maintain all store/item TIP settings within centralized inventory management software
• Manage all forecasting inputs for promotional, demo, and special events related products
• Analyze system generated forecasts for anomalies—troubleshoot root causes and apply fixes
• Manage new item forecasts
• Perform detailed root cause analysis of out of stock defects and inventory surpluses – apply appropriate fixes
• Perform detailed analysis of forecast accuracy and opportunities – apply appropriate fixes
• Review store ordering behavior and identify opportunities to reduce under/over ordering defects
• Utilize SQL and other database tools to capture information necessary for analysis
• Provide written reporting and visualizations for all weekly business reviews
• Present summaries of findings to a large stakeholder group in weekly business reviews
Supply Chain Management
• Maintain vendor order deadline and delivery schedule records within ordering systems
• Communicate with vendors to identify the root cause of supplier-related outs
• Troubleshoot supply chain challenges in partnership with stores, distributors, and category merchants
• Provide troubleshooting support for orders placed by store order writers
• Assign stores with routine and ad hoc cycle count tasks to maintain on hand system inventory accuracy
• Analyze store feedback to determine root causes of inventory or forecasting errors and apply fixes
• Coordinate necessary hosted item data corrections with Data Operations Team partners
• Conduct store visits as necessary to evaluate the performance of ordering and forecasting systems in real time
• Communicate program updates and action items to stores, regions, and global support stakeholders as necessary
• Create reporting as needed to communicate KPI data
• Support the development of new business processes necessary to support centralized forecasting and inventory management
• Support the development of new training programs intended for store, region, and global level stakeholders
• Provide testing support for new replenishment technologies as they are introduced
• Internal Candidates: Whole Foods Market Team Leader experience or above.
• External Candidates: retail buying, replenishment &/or forecasting experience (2-4 years)
• Self-motivated, innovative thinker, willing to work in an evolving role
• Positive attitude and ability to adapt to a highly dynamic work environment.
• Commitment to the Mission and Core Values of Whole Foods Market.
• Experience with Microsoft office products; must have advanced proficiency in Excel and ability to create dynamic reporting.
• Comfort with and ability to learn new reporting, database, and automation systems; basic knowledge of tools such as MicroStrategy, SQL, and Alteryx preferred (though can be trained)
• Strong familiarity with store operations, especially replenishment and merchandising.
• Strong familiarity with procurement and supply chain operations.
• Strong attention to detail and commitment to consistently meeting timelines.
• Able to think creatively and solve problems.
• Excellent organization and time management skills. Strong project management background.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to present ideas, conclusions and recommendations with clarity.
• Ability to travel up to 20%.
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.