- 12 years of experience leading UX design teams that include global geographies.
- 12 years of experience as a UX designer working on web or desktop applications.
- Experience in usability standards, design heuristics, and responsive design techniques.
- Bachelor’s degree in a UX-related field (Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Behavioral Research, Graphic Design) or equivalent practical experience.
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, PhD in architecture or related field.
- Experience in designing for multi-device experiences, including tablet and smartphone.
- Experience with user-centered research (e.g., usability testing, contextual inquiry, field interviews).
- Demonstrated leadership in communicating research, conceptual ideas, and design rationale within a user-centered design process.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
About the job
As the Director, UX, you will lead UX design and research for Works UX, a team of UXers focused on the design of multiple products including HR tools for Performance Management, Employee Education, Staffing/Hiring, Headcount Management, Legal, Finance, Marketing, Reporting, Real Estate functions, and Google for NonProfits. You will collaborate with designers, Product Managers, and Engineering teams across our locations to provide design leadership, and innovation opportunities. Additionally, you will operate as a thought partner, bringing resolution to complex problems through effective communication and inputs reflecting your deep understanding of our users. Lastly, you will combine expert UX design skills to help the team improve quality for products. The team you will lead consist of about 50 UXers (design and research) and your responsibility will be to grow it over the coming years.
Core UX is a growing team of product designers, researchers, program managers, writers, and front-end engineers across the U.S. and Germany. We’re a diverse UX organization working cross-functionally across global offices. To accomplish this, we draw connections and create efficiencies across Google Cloud. In addition, we work to drive product excellence across Google Cloud, including a consistent scorecard combining quantitative and qualitative metrics to help us increase product quality.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From Google Ads to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Lead and oversee all phases of UX work in the area of UX support and partners products portfolio, and contribute to corporate UX design standards and framework.
- Lead across research, conceptual design, prototyping, detailed design, usability testing, and implementation.
- Partner with Product Management and Engineering to align UX vision and activities with Google Cloud’s business goals.
- Collaborate with user researchers to validate and test ideas. Improve research, design, and development processes to gain efficiency, remove obstacles, and simplify problems.
- Advocate the role of user experience design across the organization and make user experience design recommendations based on usability standards and industry best practices.