Director of Design at Praxent
Named a Best Company to Work For in Texas in 2015, 2016, and 2017, Praxent is a custom software design and development firm that helps leaders to make profitable investments in custom software. We work closely with our customers to brainstorm, develop, and deliver creative software solutions. At Praxent, you will enjoy the freedom to do the work you love while working in a casual environment with people who genuinely care about the quality and impact of their work. Praxent is family-friendly with virtually no travel, flexible scheduling, and occasional telecommuting.
You will have the chance to shape our culture as you contribute to our practice of product design, help to pitch prospective clients, and collaborate on building the design team.
We partner with leaders to unlock the dormant potential within their organizations through technology, delivered reliably with exemplary service and support.
Job Mission - Director of Design
You’re a visionary. You’re recognized as a mentor and a thought leader, but your real strength is pragmatism: you’re at your best when you’re consistently delivering measurable value and delightful product experiences. Because of your high standards and your cutting-edge domain knowledge, team members and clients alike will look to you for lead them into the future.
Join us as Praxent’s Director of Design and ensure our products meet and exceed client expectations in both quality and ROI. Lead and build our practice and creative team of UX Design, UI Design, and UX Research.
The Ideal Candidate
- You’re a leader and mentor, balancing pragmatism and innovation in a way that is inspiring and persuasive.
- Your knowledge of UX Design, UI Design and UX Research is unparalleled.
- You thrive within constraints and shifting priorities because you have a knack for transforming ad hoc efforts into repeatable processes.
- You want to solve business problems; you just happen to do that through building software.
- You are a clear communicator and storyteller, who enjoys the challenge of finding the best solution to complex problems.
- You are a leader who thrives in direct and matrix management environments.
- Juggling priorities across multiple clients, cross-functional teams, and vendors makes you happy.
- You continuously seek to improve the world around you, knowing that big changes take time.
- Grow Praxent’s Design practice, standards, and work to align the team behind them
- Own the profitable delivery of high quality Product Design services to our clients
- Enhance Praxent’s customer experience through participation in all phases of the product life cycle, including sales.
- Lead, manage, and grow the Design team
- Participate in sales & project estimation. Assist sales in securing new projects and ensure they get off to the proper start.
- Serve as a point of escalation and resolution on active client work and internal projects.
- Direct and influence the Praxent brand with leadership and Marketing resulting in Praxent’s growth.
- Human Capital Management – Builds and manages workforce based on organizational goals, budget considerations, and staffing needs.
- Client-service expertise – Represents company to clients as part of a team. Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment; juggling multiple client projects in-flight simultaneously.
- Design Management – Keeps up-to-date on design trends and best practices. Makes effective use of design solutions to achieve results.
- Oral Communication – Makes clear and convincing oral presentations. Listens effectively; clarifies information as needed.
- Broad technical experience within web + mobile domain – Proficient in human centered design, user experience best practices, interaction design, visual design, information architecture, content strategy, and copywriting.
- Technical Credibility – Understands and appropriately applies principles, procedures, requirements, regulations, and policies related to specialized expertise.
- Creativity / Innovation – Develops new insights into situations; questions conventional approaches; encourages new ideas and innovations; designs and implements new or cutting edge programs/processes.
Who Should Apply
- Undergraduate degree in design, human computer interaction design, user experience, or significant relevant experience;
- Advanced degrees preferred but not required
- Highly creative individual possessing 12+ years of hands-on experience with product design / user research;
- 4+ years leading design teams;
- A plus for experience leading leaders
- While working remotely is allowed, we envision this leadership role to spend 80+% of their time working in person from our central-Austin office;
- Authorized to work in U.S.
Company benefits include: paid time off (vacation, public holidays & sick leave), health insurance, long-term and short-term disability, parental leave, company-wide professional development fund, IRA with company match, weekly catered lunch, flexible scheduling, occasional telecommuting and a casual work environment.