Businesses buy more than $1 trillion of products, ranging from staples to DNA sequencers in the US alone. Launched in 2015, and already exceeding $10 billion in sales, Amazon Business aims to reinvent the complicated world of workplace procurement and do for offices, hospitals, schools, and government agencies what Amazon.com did for home shoppers—make buying easier, faster, and smarter. Amazon is reinventing on behalf of the business customer and focused on building the most innovative Business-to-Business (B2B) stores in the world.
Amazon has an exciting opportunity for a Head of UX Design and Research to lead the global design and research team that crafts the experience for millions of business customers around the world, buying for work.
This role serves as the strategic design leader for all of Amazon Business. The UX team studios are co-located with product and tech teams in Seattle, Austin, Madrid, and Hyderabad. The UX team includes UX Managers, Designers, Researchers, Writers, and Design Technologists. This leader drives the creative process, continually raises the quality bar, and drives for the right solution for the right customer. This person serves as the conduit between multiple partner teams, and works with product and engineering leaders across the global organization, driving mechanisms to connect those teams’ work into a single, holistic, end-to-end experience for business customers.
This role can be in Austin or Seattle.
· Is a leader of leaders, scaling the design process across 40+ programs at once, in multiple geographies; drives a high level of focus and excellence with a strong, talented, opinionated team; leads with passion and convictions and has the innate ability to inspire passion in others
· Raises the bar on design quality (never satisfied with status quo) with a team of strong design managers, but spends most of their time in the over-arching portfolio’s design strategy, negotiating priorities, focus, and overall clarity of solution with cross-functional product and tech directors
· Leads an embedded user experience team through partnership (not a service-model or agency organization), driving clarity in definition of customer success across all major initiatives
· Owns and drives the mechanisms used by the design team to work with multiple partners teams in order to get alignment on customer problems, product vision, and accurate priorities
· Drives key functions to measure the health of the customer experience overall to drive necessary changes, both quantitatively and qualitatively
· Responsible for maintaining healthy relationships with partners and stakeholders in locations around the world; prioritizes well based on customer need, not internal dialogue; exhibits excellent judgment and negotiates challenging issues that result in moving the product forward
· Communicates clearly and compellingly within team, across peer groups, and upwardly to highest levels of senior leadership
· Has an entrepreneurial spirit
· Is a visible, driving force in the Design community at large with unique ideas about creative process, problem solving, design leadership, or similar.
· 10+ years in design management; 15+ in strategic design
· Extensive experience leveraging appropriate research techniques and data for design decisions.
· Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience is required
· Experience with an e-commerce is a plus
· Experience with B2B design is a plus
· Experience scaling design organizations beyond 50+ individuals