Developer Advocate (Remote) at BigCommerce
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce, named a 2020 "Best Place to Work" in Austin, is looking for a Developer Advocate.
Developer Advocates build communication and trust with third party developers through community building. Your role is to be the bridge between the partner and developer ecosystem and BigCommerce. As the voice of the ecosystem, you’ll gather real-world feedback and drive change based on the needs of our developer users. Using your technical expertise, communication, and facilitation skills you’ll meet with developers one-on-one and in groups to hold retrospectives and listen to their feedback about the BigCommerce developer experience.
In addition to advocacy, Developer Advocates are responsible for building and connecting developers to the enablement resources needed to build solutions on the BigCommerce platform. You’ll be responsible for executing on our technical content strategy to produce tutorials, sample apps, blog posts, videos, and more to inspire and empower our users. You’ll be responsible for supporting GoToMarket efforts for developer-impacting releases, making sure our Community is informed and inspired to adopt our new features.
In this high impact, high visibility role, you’ll represent BigCommerce to our technical audience. As an active participant in social media and community spaces, you’ll build deep relationships with developers, promoting awareness, education, and networking. You’ll demonstrate our solutions and inspire technical communities at virtual and in-person events like webinars, live streams, meetups, and conferences.
This is a remote position and the ideal candidate will reside in Austin, TX, or in any major city in the US.
What will you do:
- Be an active learner developing expertise in one or more areas of the BigCommerce platform in order to serve as a key contributor within the product development and GoToMarket process.
- Be the "Voice of the Developer" by championing developers within the BigCommerce Product and Engineering teams and senior leadership, translating developer feedback into well defined user stories using qualitative and quantitative research as input.
- Engage directly with developers in the online Community.
- Does proactive and reactive one-one-one and group outreach with developers to get feedback and improve the developer experience.
- Scopes and builds sample apps, guides, videos, and Developer Blog posts with minimal guidance, producing code and content that is accessibly written for a well-defined audience.
- Contribute to the direction of our developer content strategy with your industry experience, relationships, and knowledge of developer best practices and concepts.
- Using your subject matter expertise, evangelize the BigCommerce developer experience by presenting at developer conferences, webinars, and other events.
- Grow and develop the success of the BigCommerce developer experience finding innovative ways to create additional awareness and momentum.
- Mentor new teammates, as needed.
Who you are:
- Experienced and Technical
- 3+ years related professional experience, ideally including 1-3 years in Developer Relations, Developer Community, and/or Developer Documentation.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent experience preferred
- Experience with commerce solutions and applications including storefronts, OS, product catalogs, order management, ERP, headless implementations, and payment gateways preferred
- Expert understanding working with APIs and front-end development tools; capable of performing, testing, and debugging requests
- Strong knowledge with at least one server-side scripting language, preferably PHP or Ruby
- Strong understanding of code deployment and supporting tools like Github
- Ability to quickly understand complex, interdependent technical requirements
- Content Creator
- Proven experience writing professional technical content with a clear point of view.
- Prior experience teaching, mentoring, or training developers to use APIs.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation-based communication skills. Consistently delivering well-polished communications both internally and externally.
- An understanding of how content drives business objectives
- Willing to travel to attend conferences, meetups, and other events.
- Passionate Advocate
- Exceptional ability to communicate with and influence both technical and non-technical audiences from entry-level to C-Suite executives.
- Work effectively cross-functionally—marketing, sales, product, and engineering with relative ease to champion new ideas and drive business goals.
- Collaborative Team Player
- Proactively initiates contributions to team or company goals and implements solutions with minimal direction from others.
- Seeks and graciously receives feedback and mentorship.
- Sets ambitious goals and works with their manager to ensure alignment with the overall team and business strategy.
This description is intended to serve as a summary of key duties and responsibilities and may not contain a comprehensive list of activities.