DevOps Data Engineer – Austin, TX
Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
The DevOps Data Engineer is responsible for the management and optimization of Amherst’s SQL Database and Big Data systems. The Data Engineer is part of the DevOps team and works with the Development and IT teams to ensure the performance and security of Amherst’s data platform. Responsibilities include maintenance, performance tuning, backup, as well as the development of new Hadoop and SQL processes and scripts.
- Setup, maintain and monitor Amherst’s data environments
- Manage Security and Access control for the data platform
- Manage releases for production data changes
- Maintain and optimize Hadoop, Presto and SQL systems
- Maintain database backups
- Support Data Development team with ETL and research efforts
- Assist application developers with database design and performance tuning
- Capacity planning to ensure systems can grow to meet business requirements
- Troubleshoot issues across the Amherst data platform and assist with the resolution
- Analyze and provide best practice recommendations for performance tuning and optimization
- 3-5 years of database administration experience
- 1-2 years of experience managing Hadoop or other Big Data platforms
- Ability to work in a complex environment with a mix of hardware, virtual and cloud data environments
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server 2014 - 2016
- Scripting experience (SQL/Python/PowerShell preferred)
What we offer:
Amherst is a privately held corporation located in West Austin with beautiful views of Lake Austin and the loop 360 bridge in a modern workspace with open floor plans.
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO, 8 paid holidays, accrued sick/personal time
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, flex spending account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- On-premise fitness center, locker rooms
- Daily catered lunches, fully stocked kitchen with snacks/drinks
- Relaxed casual environment and weekly/quarterly office events!
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.