DevOps Engineer at Civitas Learning (Austin, TX)
Civitas Learning is bringing together the best of new technology, design thinking, and data science in our mission to help one million more students graduate each year. We are building a data platform and cloud-based applications to deliver insights and action analytics to the frontlines of education. We are looking for insanely talented people who want to jump in and roll up their sleeves with us to make it all happen, and do the best work of their careers.
We are looking for a DevOps Engineer to help continuously evolve our infrastructure. You will work to increase stability by looking for ways our current infrastructure can break and work to build chaos monkey level fault tolerance. Scalability is a shared concern with development and will require great communication skills to implement shared technologies such as Kafka and Vault. All of this will also need to be done with security in mind, which will involve working with InfoSec to implement policies for compliance without hindering development efficiency.
- Own and maintain a Kubernetes cluster responsible for all core applications which includes ensuring uptime, monitoring & alerting, and the addition of new capabilities.
- Work with various dev and non-dev teams to architect, test, and deploy solutions with a wide range of technologies.
- Actively manage and improve existing infrastructure, build fault tolerant systems in all environments, and build tools to empower developers to monitor, manage, and debug their own systems.
- Develop a comprehensive health dashboard that can be used by non-technical parties to assess the health of applications.
- Manage all aspects of AWS infrastructure (networking, access controls, cost, auditing, etc.) and maintain our “infrastructure as code” repository in Terraform.
- Build simple and efficient CI/CD pipelines that enable code to rapidly make it to production with minimal intervention from developers.
- BS in Computer Science or a related field
- 2+ years software engineering
- 2+ years experience with a scripting language
Must have expertise in some of the following:
- Infrastructure management tools such as Terraform and Ansible
- Containers and related technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, AWS ECS, etc.)
- RDBMS (PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, etc.)
- Linux command line tools and troubleshooting methods
- CI/CD principles and automation tools (Jenkins, etc.)
Experience with some of the following is a huge bonus:
- Kubernetes in a production environment
- Deploying, maintaining, and leveraging application monitoring, alerting, and logging tools (New Relic, Datadog, PagerDuty, Kibana, Splunk)
- Runtime Configuration Management (e.g. 12 Factor Apps)
- Git (or other modern source control)
- Secure development practices
About Civitas Learning:
Civitas Learning partners with universities and colleges dedicated to helping more students learn well and finish strong. We provide tools and services for educators that bring together and make the most of their diverse and disconnected data streams; personalize information and support for their students; and deepen understanding of the impact of their student-success initiatives. Through our work together, our partners are empowering leaders, advisors, faculty, & students—and measurably improving enrollment, persistence, and graduation outcomes.
Today, Civitas Learning has more than 350 colleges and universities as customers, serving nearly 8 million students. Together with our growing community of customers, Civitas Learning is making the most of the world’s learning data to graduate a million more students per year by 2025.
Civitas Learning is located in the heart of downtown Austin, directly across from Lady Bird Lake and the Austin Hike and Bike Trail. Civitas offers a comprehensive benefits package including a company-wide bonus program, medical, dental, vision, disability insurance, onsite paid parking, 401-K Program and a flexible paid time off policy. Civitas Learning is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.