Director, Engineering at Favor (Austin, TX or Remote)
| Austin | Remote
Sorry, this job was removed at 5:02 a.m. (CST) on Thursday, January 20, 2022
Favor’s mission is ‘Anything Delivered’. Our engineers make high-touch logistics happen. The Favor technology platform is the engine behind the business enabling millions of Favors. Our technology efficiently manages the real-time assignment of Runners to Favors, facilitates communication between customers, Runners, and support, keeps thousands of customer and Runner mobile applications in sync, and more.
Do you seek to make an impact on hundreds of thousands of users? Do you want to work for a purpose and value driven company in a high growth environment? Our engineers create the tools and applications necessary to connect our customers, Runners, merchants, and Support teams. As an Engineering Director at Favor, you will be responsible for a team of engineers building applications, services, and cloud infrastructure for our product portfolio across multiple platforms, including microservices, web, iOS, and Android. You will work closely with engineering and product leadership to instill a culture of quality and iterative development across all engineering disciplines and increase the quality, confidence, and reliability of everything we build.
At Favor, we are committed to building a world class team that shares a passion for modern, clean code and products that make a difference. We need leaders like you to help us achieve our mission of ‘Anything Delivered’!
- Manage a team of engineering managers and individual contributors including responsibility for 1:1s, giving regular feedback, performance management and career development conversations.
- Will lead one or more major functional or domain areas within the engineering department
- Work with the VP Engineering to set the strategic direction, identify gaps in personnel and org structure to create a world class engineering team
- Understand and apply fundamentals of the business to ensure the technical roadmap aligns with business opportunities.
- Facilitate goal-level creation for the broader function and works with other managers to support setting of team level goals.
- Develop future engineering leaders within the organization on both the management and IC tracks
- Identify and implement enhancements to standards, processes, and tools - driving operational excellence throughout the software development lifecycle
- Evaluate new technology solutions and partnerships to accelerate the engineering and product organization.
- Collaborate closely with product management and engineering as equal stakeholders in the product development process.
- Participate in architectural design and coordinate with other software engineering managers as needed for a consistent approach within the suite of applications.
- Consistently strive to improve collaboration and communications.
- Partner with leaders to identify and plan capabilities required to meet customer needs.
- Empower teams to deliver their very best.
Skills & Qualifications
- A related degree or comparable formal training, certification, or work experience.
- 4+ years of experience as an individual contributor in an engineering role.
- 7+ years of experience leading high performance engineering teams.
- Experience leading engineering teams of 20+
- Experience mentoring, motivating, and leading a team supporting successful software products.
- Experience setting business expectations and scope as well as providing technology recommendations.
- Experience or familiarity with one or more of the following technologies: PHP, Kotlin, Scala, Python, Java, Node.js, React, MySQL, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, AWS, Elasticsearch, XCUITest, Selenium, JUnit, NUnit, Espresso.
- Technical expertise in one or more areas: Frontend, Backend, QA, Mobile, or DevOps.
- Track record of timely delivery of high-quality software.
- Excellent problem solving, issue identification and technical documentation skills.
- Ability to communicate with cross-functional teams about engineering topics such as system architecture, API design, product roadmaps, and resourcing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to operate with minimal direction to drive large-scale initiatives.
- Ability to identify team and functional area challenges, gaps, and opportunities for improvement, propose solutions, get buy in, and execute on change initiatives.
- Have a passion for mentorship, guidance, and direct person to person interactions that create strong bonds among teams and individuals.
- Care deeply about people and helping them become their best selves.
- Appreciate simple design.
- Love to write clean, well-tested code - coding is not required in this role but there will be opportunities to get your hands dirty if desired.
- Like working with other engineers in a collaborative and iterative environment.
- Have experience in both a high-growth startup and growing medium sized company.
- Love to learn and teach equally well and possess a growth mindset.
- Communicate well with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Participate actively in the local development or open source communities.
- Have worked with public cloud providers and cloud native application development.
At Favor, we believe that to Run Texas, we need to represent Texas. By putting Community First, we honor the diversity of our backgrounds and experiences through sharing our unique voices. Our community grows when we challenge ourselves to learn and see the world from another’s view. We are committed to growing a team with different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives and are an equal opportunity employer.
Read Full Job Description