Electronics Lab Technician at CesiumAstro
At CesiumAstro, we are developers and pioneers of out-of-the-box communication systems for satellites, UAVs, launch vehicles, and other space and airborne platforms. We take pride in our dynamic and cross-functional work environment, which allows us to learn, develop, and engage across our organization. If you are looking for hands-on, interactive, and autonomous work, CesiumAstro is the place for you. We are actively seeking passionate, collaborative, energetic, and forward-thinking individuals to join our team.
We are looking to add an Electronics Lab Technician to our team. If you are excited about working in a startup environment, have a strong work ethic, and are passionate about cutting-edge electronics, we would like to hear from you.
In this position, you will work closely with Cesium engineers to create electronics test bench setups, execute test plans, and produce timely, reliable test results. You will have the opportunity to use and maintain state-of-the-art electronics lab instrumentation, such as thermal chambers, high-frequency oscilloscopes, VNAs, automated power supplies, and more. You will be challenged to propose and fabricate intricate test setups to increase productivity and improve test results.
Another core job responsibility is complex PCB rework. Cesium’s space electronics use the latest high-density packaging techniques with stringent IPC Class 3 standards; as such, you will use high-quality rework tools to repair PCBs, replace components, and assemble custom prototypes. The ideal candidate has experience reworking BGAs, QFNs, and passives down to 0201 size or smaller with a high rate of success.
Core day-to-day activities will include aligning with engineers to test and troubleshoot complex electronics and RF circuitry from component level to system level. As such, the ability to understand and work from drawings, diagrams, schematics, and test procedures is key.
As a small company, the Cesium team “wears many hats.” Candidates should be comfortable with a varied workflow that may involve multitasking between test setup creation, test execution, PCB rework, lab organization, and other related tasks.
- Execute test plans and provide concise and timely reporting of findings
- Develop subassembly structures to support testing at varying temperatures, in vacuum, and in other environmental conditions that are typical of Low Earth Orbit satellites
- Support rework of sensitive electronics, including QFNs, chip-scale ICs, RF cables, and 0201 passive components
- Create thorough documentation with meticulous attention to detail and a high standard of quality
Successful candidates will have, as a minimum:
- 3 years of experience as an electronics technician at the PCB level
- Working knowledge of IPC soldering specifications, including Class 3
- Experience creating clean, intricate, and well-documented test setups consisting of instrumentation, cabling, and the devices under test
- Ability to work with a variety of electronics equipment and a keen eye for troubleshooting issues
- Strong organization skills
- Comfortable with collaboration tools such as MS Teams, Confluence, and Jira
- Ability to work well under deadlines
- Strong digital, written, and verbal communication skills
Preferred attributes include:
- Technical degree in Electronics Engineering Technology or similar
- 5+ years of related work experience with electronics in aerospace or a related industry
- Experience with RF electronics at 20 GHz or higher
- Familiarity with Python and the ability to read and make small changes to simple scripts
- Experience with test automation such as LabView or Python
- Ability to learn quickly and succeed in a rigorous but fast-paced environment
CesiumAstro is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We provide generous benefits and stock option package to all our employees.