Engineering Manager at Sysco LABS
Sysco LABS is a technology-focused division within Sysco, dedicated to reimagining foodservice through innovation. An extension of Sysco's commitment to deliver exceptional products and services to the foodservice industry, Sysco LABS uses customer and market intelligence, data-driven insights and agile technology development to rethink the entire foodservice ecosystem.
Our innovation will improve everything from the ordering process, inventory, pricing and automation to the in-restaurant customer experience. Operating with the mindset of a startup and backed by the authoritative expertise of an industry leader, Sysco LABS' mission is to improve the Sysco customer experience and consistently deliver cost savings and new innovations through technology.
About the Role
As an Engineering Manager at Sysco LABS, you will manage the people and processes for one of our product-aligned engineering vertical teams, while also technically contributing to our codebase. You will be responsible for the engagement and professional development of the team in addition to the delivery of high-quality, robust, and scalable software to production on a regular basis. The Sysco LABS Customer Experience (CX) team has developed a ground-up rewrite of Sysco's $40BB+ US eCommerce platform in modern technologies (e.g., React, Node.js, 100% AWS-based, etc.) and is looking for strong Engineering Managers to lead the development of the next set of business-impacting features. The Austin engineering team will continue a high rate of growth over the next 2-3 years and the Engineering Managers will be playing key roles as we grow, develop, and mature the organization.
- Own, oversee, and execute the development, testing, deployment, and delivery of large-scale software applications.
- Work with team members to design high-volume, high-availability microservices in AWS to meet the business requirements.
- Mentor team members in both their technical and professional development.
- Recruit, retain and develop exceptional engineering talent.
- Deliver robust and scalable solutions, incorporating in new technologies as appropriate.
- Cultivate a positive company culture that values cross team collaboration and trust.
- Partner with Product teams to set product and development strategy and vision with an eye towards balancing productivity and customer experience.
- Advocate for engineering-led initiatives that improve speed, quality, agility, and developer experience.
- Continuously optimize team and development processes.
- 3+ years in a management role leading a team of software engineers
- 7+ years of professional technical experience delivering software as part of a development team utilizing React, Node.JS or Java.
- Technical acumen to understand and apply applications, development methodologies, test automation, and continuous integration strategies
- A passion for hands-on mentorship of engineers and a process-honoring approach to software development
- Clear ability to pragmatically balance business priorities with technical constraints
- A drive for simple solutions and ability to succinctly communicate them to functional and technical teams
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, related technical field, or equivalent self-study
- Competitive base & bonus packages
- Fun, casual, fast-paced work environment filled with talented colleagues
- Brand-new high-tech office space located in the heart of East 6th St, (walking distance to the MetroRail)
- Generous PTO policy
- Flexible work environment that encourages work/life balance
- Fully stocked break room & weekly catered lunch
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits and company 401(k) program
We embrace diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.