Lead Software Engineer (Backend) at Schoology
Schoology, one of the fastest growing education technology companies, brings together the best K-12 learning management system with assessment management to improve student performance, foster collaboration, and personalize learning. Millions of students, faculty and administrators from over 60,000 K-12 schools worldwide use Schoology to advance what is possible in education.
Working at Schoology offers you a chance to help solve the most important challenges in education in an environment that’s fun, collaborative and innovative. We are looking for smart, creative individuals who are passionate about education and aren't afraid to show it.
What you’ll do:
As a Lead Software Engineer (Backend), you’ll be in a hands-on development and technical lead role collaborating with our team to help continue building the leading LMS software in the industry, Schoology! Your focus will be solving the technical challenges on providing the best tools for evaluating and measuring learner performance, learner activity, and learner engagement in a way that allows educators and other stakeholders to improve learner outcomes and instructional effectiveness, providing solutions for real-world problems that they are facing today.
What can you expect working at Schoology?
Our software engineering practices promote the culture of continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous improvement. The right candidate is ready for this challenge and eager to apply sound software engineering practices to the Schoology web application and services.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Design, and Operations teams to create and deliver tested features to production.
- Effectively and frequently communicates with team members to ensure rapid iteration and highly efficient development
- Demonstrate the skills and knowledge that make up an engineer’s basic problem-solving toolbox.
- Own the full engineering life-cycle of projects including; requirements design, technical design, task estimation, implementation, testing, debugging, and deployment.
- Plan and execute assigned work beyond basic technical solutions.
To succeed in this position, you will need:
- Experience or willingness with developing serverless architecture
- Experience designing data persistence and caching concepts using both SQL and NoSQL DBMS (PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Redis, etc.)
- Experience testing software in alignment with the Test Pyramid
- Experience owning the responsibility for delivering frontend and backend work as well as coordinating with QA, Design, and PM
- Willingness to accept responsibility not only for your own work but the work of the team as a whole
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Enjoy being part of a highly collaborative, remote-friendly environment
- Experience with modern front-end frameworks like React.js
All team members at Schoology are expected to embody our core values which are Passion, Collaboration, Innovation, Curiosity and Integrity.
Our mission is to continuously advance what is possible in education. You in?
Schoology is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity of every kind.