Principal Software Engineer, Web at LegalZoom
We believe that everyone should have access to professional legal advice. So, we’ve built a trusted and accessible technology-based platform to reduce barriers and help empower millions of people to grow their business, care for their families, protect their ideas and more. From Estate Planning, to Business Formations to IP, we’ve helped millions of customers, providing the protection and peace of mind they need. To date, we’ve grown to become the leading provider of online legal solutions for families and small businesses, and we’re committed to making our services even more valuable and easier to use than ever before. Join us!
We’re looking for a Principal Software Engineer who is a self-starter and can learn quickly. Your job will be to help roll out new software systems by inserting directly into execution teams in order to spread and evangelize the latest and greatest technologies.
The ideal candidate has a strong background in software design, developing and managing the delivery of highly-scalable, micro-services driven, cloud-based systems, and leveraging a combination of frontend and backend technologies running in containers.
What you’ll do:
- Lead, develop, and inspire a team of engineers to meet initiative objectives
- Help introduce new technologies to engineering teams, taking part in the training, adoption, and execution of new platforms
- Work closely with other engineering teams to gain bottom-up consensus in delivering technology solutions
- Full-stack hands on development
- Design and communicate solutions that help software engineers deliver to growing business needs
- Accelerate the development process by implementing improvements to the developer pipeline
- Develop a deep understanding of the system, write technical specifications, mentor development team, enforce coding standards
- Drive the DevOps culture, taking quality into your hands, enabled by automated testing and continuous integration
- Present technological solutions to IT leadership that communicate the value, intent, and tradeoffs of your approach
- Build and foster stakeholder relationships both within your team and among others
- Contribute to the department’s identity, standards, guidelines, and best practices
- Support the daily operations of the IT/Tech department
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field required
- 10+ years of intense technical experience in the areas of web development and application integration
- 3+ years working in the role of principal or staff engineer in a high-transaction, fast-paced, dynamic environment
- 5+ years of hands-on programming in .NET or Java and relational databases (MS SQL, Oracle, MySQL, etc.)
- 3+ years developing in other backend platforms such as NodeJS, Python, PHP, etc.
- 3+ years working with NoSQL solutions such as MongoDB, Neo4J, Redis, Cassandra, etc.
- Previous experience as a technical leader and/or leading an agile/scrum team
- Hands-on experience writing tests using automation frameworks (Jasmine, Mocha, Karma, etc.)
- Expert hands-on knowledge of front-end frameworks and layout systems such as Bootstrap, Foundation
- Experience building out design systems, pattern libraries, and/or style guides
- Proven delivery of responsive and adaptive web solutions including progressive web applications
- Experience working with CDN and edge caching
- Strong understanding of website optimization, minification, compression
- Experience with Secure Coding Practices and assurance that these practices are consistently followed in the development of all software products
- Production experience with Docker, Kubernetes and/or similar container engines and orchestration including ECS/Fargate or EKS
- Experience with continuous integration, unit testing, static analysis, and automated integration tests. Continuous delivery experience preferred
- Expert experience working with a source control tool (GIT) with strong understanding of how to automate developer workflows
- Proven ability to use design patterns to accomplish scalable architecture
- Proficiency using architectural design utilities like Visio, ERDs, and UML
- Proficiency using MS PowerPoint to deliver technical and non-technical presentations
- Experience in both Windows and Linux
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- AI, Machine Learning, and Natural Language Processing experience
Join us in making a difference as we build our future and help ensure access to professional legal advice to all! LegalZoom is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to diversity.