Senior Actuarial Associate (Reserving) at Hippo Insurance
Location: Palo Alto, CA/Austin, TX / Bedminster, NJ
Title: Senior Actuarial Associate (Reserving)
Reporting to: Director, Actuarial Services
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using innovative technology and a data-driven approach, we strive to provide homeowners with the best policies, best value, and best customer service in the industry. And as if that wasn’t enough, it’s really just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from experiencing problems with their homes, to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
About the Role:
The position is responsible for collaboration with a team to develop and implement best reserving practices. The position will work on all facets of our reserving process and engage with claims, finance, underwriting and senior management on drivers and results of loss experience. The position will grow to include responsibilities over Hippo’s growing business portfolio.
- Collaborate to drive forward the analysis of ultimate losses and loss adjustment expenses across all our products and geographies
- Coordinate, maintain and communicate metrics from the loss reserving process to support related disciplines such as pricing, accounting, claims and underwriting
- Support the annual, quarterly and monthly financial reporting processes
- Collaborate proactively and independently across functions to drive communication and education around loss ratio performance, risk-based targets, capital efficiency, and strategy
- Mentor analysts in reserving analysis and insurance business principles
- 5 years of professional experience in property casualty loss reserving with a solid foundation in basic reserving methodologies
- ACAS required, ideally FCAS
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, allowing effective interaction with colleagues and executives
- Professional experience using Excel and SQL required
- Property experience (reserving or pricing)
- Experience in Python, and R
- Experience with reserving packages such as Arius Enterprise, and ResQ
- 3-5 years experience in accounting concepts and terminology for US GAAP and NAIC statutory financial reporting
Compensation and Perks:
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401K, long & short term disability, EAP and flexible spending accounts.
- Flexible Paid Time Off- Uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Hippo Habitat - Fast-paced, close-knit, office located in Bedminster, NJ; Beautiful, historic offices in downtown Austin at the corner of 6th & Congress; Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5 minute walk from Caltrain. We also offer commuter benefits including free parking pass. Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s for all!
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.