Senior AWS Software Engineer at Whole Foods Market (Austin, TX)
The Whole Foods Market Retail team is at the center of the store retail technology and builds and supports systems that directly connect with our customers. We have embarked on transformational initiatives that will deliver market leading capabilities to Whole Foods Market and redefine our customer experience.
As a Senior Software Development Engineer - AWS, you will play a pivotal role in designing, building and testing new and innovative solutions. Your work will be a central function in our initiatives, and you will work alongside application Architects, Product Owners and Development teams across Whole Foods and Amazon to help redefine the industry and make a positive impact for our customers.
If you have a passion for developing high-quality, scalable software solutions, then please keep reading.
- Impacts software design, code quality, CX, and maintainability of a product or product features.
- Drives operational excellence.
- Automates team development, test, and operational processes.
- Improves the speed of delivery.
- Independently invents, designs and builds stable and performant software.
- Writes code that SDEs unfamiliar with the system can understand.
- Leverages knowledge of a broad range of design approaches to determine when to use them (or not).
- Considers code’s legacy, limiting the use of short-term workarounds
- Is judicious about adding dependencies; efficient with resources: hardware, database, memory/CPU, etc.
- Participates in code reviews, design discussions, team planning, and metrics reviews
- Develops software enhancements that improve team software and processes
- Mentors fellow Team Members in software and application development best practices and methods.
- Works with peers and business partners to document business processes and information technology requirements, analyze requirements, and prepare functional and technical specifications.
- Develops, revises, and approves quality assurance and testing policies, standards, and procedures.
- Provides second level support of existing and new applications. Assist in troubleshooting and resolution of technical issues and processes.
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of experience developing and delivering Amazon Web Services (AWS) solutions
- 3+ years working with Web Services, REST API and Microservices patterns
- Experience working with Amazon Web Services (AWS) services including Gateway API, Lambda, Cloud Formation and implementing products that scale
- Proficient in a broad range of design approaches and know when it is appropriate to use them (and when it is not).
- Has demonstrated experience solving difficult technical problems in medium-to-large software projects.
- Has demonstrated strong code writing ability across several platforms, environments, and/or programming languages.
- Has demonstrated knowledge of relational databases (SQL).
- Has demonstrated knowledge of relational and NoSQL databases.
- Has demonstrated knowledge of software test automation.
- Has demonstrated knowledge of application CI/CD pipelines: infrastructure as code, integration testing, automated deployment and rollback.
- Working knowledge of performance and load testing techniques
- Working knowledge of operational procedures such as monitoring, logging and alerting
- A Bachelors (BS) or Masters (MS) STEM degree or equivalent experience
Preference given to those with the following:
- Strong preference given if the CI/CD pipeline is using CodePipeline, CodeBuild and CodeDeploy
- Understanding of current API security patterns such as OAuth2 and OpenID connect
- Working knowledge of governance and compliance including PCI/SOX
Location & Travel
Located in Austin, TX with up to 20% time spent traveling to software partner, regional offices and/or store locations.
We offer great benefits and a friendly work atmosphere with open books, open doors, and open people. We also encourage you to have a life! That's why our team members have chosen us as one of FORTUNE® magazine's "100 Best Companies to Work For" every year since the list began in 1998.
Whole Foods Market is the world's leading natural and organic foods supermarket retailer. Our philosophy is to satisfy and delight our customers – and to support Team Member happiness and excellence. Why? We believe that each and every team member is a valued contributor.
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.