Senior DevOps Engineering Manager at Workrise
As the leading workforce management solution for the skilled trades, Workrise makes it easier for skilled laborers to find work, and for companies to find in-demand workers. Workrise currently operates in wind, solar, construction, oil and gas, and defense industries. We’re growing, and we’d love to learn what you can add to our team!
We are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager for our Engineering Enablement team to help us to continue to lead and grow the team that’s building the next evolution of the Workrise cloud infrastructure, developer tooling, application infrastructure, and monitoring.What you’ll be doing:
- Managing a team of engineers composed of full-time engineers based in Austin
- Establishing and maintaining an efficient team delivery process
- Building relationships and working with stakeholders including customers, product managers, engineering managers, cross-functional partners, and external partners.
- Contributing to strategic direction, planning the roadmap, escalating issues, and synthesizing feedback to ensure team success.
- Representing and being accountable for the technical output of the team, either through personal experience or strong communication lines with Staff & Principal engineers.
- Coaching and developing engineers through setting performance expectations, career planning, performance reviews, coaching low performers, compensation reviews, promotions, and terminations.
- Building out and executing on a growth plan for our Enablement team
- Build a platform to enable application teams to be end to end owners, easily building, deploying, and maintaining their services and applications
- Maintaining and improving a Kubernetes based microservice ecosystem that empowers our application teams to rapidly and securely deliver value
- Designing and developing DevOps processes and tools to automate and audit application service operations
- Implementing easy to use tooling to provide platform level resources to application teams as a source of best practice standards
- Influencing the wider engineering team through demos, brown bag topics, and design proposals
- 8-10 years of relevant software development experience
- 3+ years of experience managing a large or multiple engineering teams, with experience leading DevOps teams
- Expertise with cloud infrastructure, order of preference: GCP, AWS, Azure
- Expertise with CI/CD pipelines for production services
- Experience with remote collaboration with teams in different timezones
- Experience with Agile development methodologies, order of preference: Kanban, Scrum, XP
- Experience with infrastructure as code, preference: Terraform
- Experience with monitoring and observability tooling, preference: Prometheus, Grafana, and SRE
- Strong communication skills with the ability to actively build relationships with stakeholders within and outside of the organization
- BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- You are a motivated and self-directed engineering manager who wants to deliver real business value
- You seek to understand the purpose of your project and how it fits into the larger view, and actively share and promote that with your team
- You can lead and function effectively in the face of uncertainty and ambiguity
- You see mistakes as learning opportunities, not just for you but for your team as well
At Workrise you can feel good about your work and furthering our mission to serve those who do the hard work. We recognize that making an impact matters to you and we believe in providing an environment that fosters that ambition. We welcome you to develop relationships with coworkers by displaying our company values: Own the Mission, Learn and Grow, Solutions Over Ego, and Raise the Bar. In appreciation for your contributions, we support you with various health insurance plan options (including medical, dental, vision), flexible paid time off, and competitive 401k matching.
As a world-class employer, Workrise is committed to providing an environment where any and all people feel welcome, respected, and free to be their authentic selves. We welcome applicants of all gender identities, sexual orientation, educational background, religion, ethnicities, veteran status, and citizenships. We’d love to learn what you can add to our team!
In 2014, we set out to create a better way to get work done in the Oil & Gas industry. The goal — to build the most reliable and cost-effective workforce solution, using technology to make it easier to manage and deploy workers at scale. Over time, we’ve grown to serve construction, wind, solar, and defense.
We’re a Series E startup, backed by industry-leading investors Founders Fund, Bedrock Capital, Andreesen Horowitz, Baillie Gifford. To date, we’ve placed over 26,000 skilled tradespeople with over 500 businesses and are poised to grow exponentially over the coming months and years.
We’d love to share more through the interview process!