Senior Software Engineer, Scala (Storefront Team) at BigCommerce
BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
BigCommerce, named a 2022 "Best Place to Work" in Austin is looking for a Senior Software Engineer, Scala for our Storefront Team. This growing team is looking for an engineer with strong technical experience who will focus on building our flagship storefront experience, as well as improving the performance, reliability of the Storefront Platform. We use technologies like Scala, Node.js, Ruby, PHP, gRPC, Service mesh, Docker to build one of the fastest and most reliable ecommerce platforms in the world.
BigCommerce offers a dynamic, collaborative environment, helping you expand your skills and take ideas from inception to delivery.
**To be considered applicant must reside in the United States**
What You’ll Do:
- Build highly-available, high-performance, redundant, and scalable distributed systems in a polyglot environment
- Engage in technical discussion of new solutions and architectures
- Build new features with a focus on testability, extensibility, and maintainability
- Drive our technical roadmap and direction of our stack
- Write code that is high-performance, maintainable, clear, and concise
- Advocate for modern development practices and tools
- Ensure that technical decisions support our goals of quality, performance, scalability, reliability, availability, and security
- Support an open, positive, and energized culture
- Encourage innovation and champion an environment of continuous improvement
- Collaborate with the teams located across the Globe
Who You Are:
- 5+ years of professional experience as a Software Engineer
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, MIS or related equivalent experience
- 2+ years of Scala in a high traffic production environment
- Knowledge of object-oriented and functional programming techniques
- Experience monitoring and operating microservices
- Knowledge of highly scalable architectures
- Strong desire to learn new languages, frameworks, and design patterns
- Experience with SaaS platforms or Cloud Computing
- Experience with GraphQL is a plus
Remote Position or Hybrid: “Flexible work from home options available” for those wanting an office environment. Available in Austin, Texas and San Francisco, CA or 100% remote in the U.S.
Our Hiring Processes Might Include
We want to see your problem-solving and analytical skills. Be prepared to write good, clean, scalable code. You don’t need to know our entire stack, but we’re looking for practical experience, someone who can tackle production problems in the cloud.
- Recruiter Phone Screen
- Hiring Manager Screening
- Online Code Assessment
- Final Team Interview
- Note: Visa Work Authorization Sponsorship Supported and Relocation Assistance Provided
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.
Learn more about the BigCommerce team, culture and benefits at https://careers.bigcommerce.com.