Senior Software Engineer
Come work at Smarter Sorting!
Smarter Sorting helps companies maximize the salvation of unwanted items.
We utilize machine learning and artificial intelligence to create the best decision path for unsalable products. At least 1 in 10 products retailers sell are returned, unsold or damaged. With a lack of standardized data, retailers are unable to properly classify these products and end up spending millions. These products are disposed of instead of being donated and used for their intended purpose.
Our Point of Reversal Decision Engine helps find end-markets for these unsaleable items, stops tons of hazardous waste from being incinerated into our atmosphere, and saves our partners lots of money by increasing reuse and automating compliance.
The Smarter Sorting team is made up of top-notch talent who are dedicated to our mission of reducing unnecessary waste. We're determined to build world-class tech that transforms the chemical waste management industry, speeding our advancement towards a zero-waste future. Join us!
Smarter Sorting is looking for a Senior Software Engineer who has a deep understanding of Ruby and can take ownership of our client data portal and supplier data portal. Taking the lead on these portals will help ensure our customers have a seamless and positive interaction with the software side of our products. This person needs to understand the business value that these portals provide to our customers as well as understand the key place that they hold in the vision of Smarter Sorting. Success in this role will involve integrating the existing portals into a single application, figuring out how to scale the application with new customer acquisitions, and then growing the team as Smarter Sorting grows. They will hit important back-end development milestones for our software products and offer day-to-day support within our Data Engineering team.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Design and develop our client and supplier portals
- Determine optimal data schemas
- Develop clean, readable and efficient interfaces in Ruby
- Collaborate with Product Management and UX
- Coordinate with our data acquisition teams to ensure seamless flow between components in our solution
- Act as escalation point for support issues
- Take ownership and accountability beyond individual deliverables
Your Experience + Skills:
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related degree
- 5+ years of overall software development experience including:
- 5+ years working on web-based SaaS applications
- 2+ years Ruby
- 2+ years SQL
- Angular experience is a plus
- Startup experience is a plus
- MongoDB experience is a plus
Your 1st month:
- Learn everything there is to know about our software products
- Ramp up on our industry
- Fully understand our software development methodologies
- Participate in an engineering sprint
Your first 3 months:
- Actively contribute to the architectural decisions for our tool
- Lead our coordination with overseas resources
- Successfully integrate with the team
- Launch version 3.0 of our portal product
Your first 6 months:
- Mentor junior members of the team
- Actively contribute ideas to our product roadmap
- Launch version 4.0 of our portal product
Lastly, About Our Benefits & Perks
Smarter Sorting offers
-Competitive Compensation Packages
-Medical, dental & vision insurance
-Short-term disability insurance
-Continuing Education & Lunch N Learns
-Volunteering & Special Events (with baby goats in attendance)
-Snacks, drinks, lunches and dinners
Read Full Job Description