Amazon Fulfillment Technologies (AFT) powers the physical engine at the heart of Amazon. AFT builds and operates software, hardware, and processes that run the global network of fulfillment centers that move many millions of units of inventory, employ tens of thousands of people, and ensure that customers get what they want when we promised we would get it to them. We do this by building automated solutions to handle things that technology does well, while relying on people to handle things that humans do well.
Our environment is global and complex with a variety of software and systems, including industrial machines and protocols. We are constantly innovating in the ways we are automating and accelerating the delivery of products and packages which includes building custom hardware and applying robotics, computer vision, machine learning, image processing, and real-time data processing using distributed systems.
As the manager, software development, you will be responsible for driving the technical direction for a large software system. You will be leading core product development to enable better visibility into performance of material handling equipment and software systems and enable innovation and process improvements on our fulfillment pipeline. You will also be responsible for working closely with other managers of software development teams within Amazon to lead changes through their systems.
The role requires you to be able to manage the overall software development life-cycle which includes the following responsibilities:
· Create, prioritize, communicate, manage, and execute roadmaps, project plans, and commitments
· Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
· Work closely with engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
· Foster culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
· Hire, coach, and mentor individuals; build a strong cross-functional organization
· Partner with a diverse customer base to understand requirements, priorities, and processes
· Propose and implement new projects or recommend system improvements.
· Own all operational metrics and support
· Have the obsession to drive a better customer experience through everything that we do here at Amazon
· Bring innovative ideas to the table every day, in order to find better ways of accomplishing our customer objectives
· Set clear, measurable quality goals for an organization in a data-driven way
We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success and we make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
· 6+ years of relevant engineering experience
· 1+ years people management experience
· Experience with OOD and object oriented languages
· Master Degree or PhD in Computer Science or related field.
· 8+ years experience leading the definition and development of multi tier web services
· 4+ years experience leading development of applications backed by AWS services or using other cloud based technologies and services
· 4+ years experience and knowledge in building large automated industrial systems
· 4+ years working on Big data and highly scalable systems
· Deep hands-on technical expertise
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Strong business and technical vision
· Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
· A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
· Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements, underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.