The Team: Everyone on the team needs to be entrepreneurial, wear many hats, and work in a highly collaborative environment. We enable sophisticated, fact-based decision making across WFM by delivering constantly evolving, best-in-class data, technology, and analytics capabilities. This team will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and will have the opportunity to redefine an industry while working with different teams across Whole Foods Market and Amazon. You will be working alongside some of the smartest engineers at Amazon and Whole Foods Market. You will be based out of Austin, TX, the best city for BBQ and live music where line dancing and wearing cowboy boots to the office are optional. Most importantly you’ll be contributing to our Higher Purpose of Nourishing People and the Planet!
The Role: You must have an established background in delivering business partner facing solutions, strong technical skills, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment. You will play an active role in translating business requirements into concrete systems and prototyping concepts in partnership with Amazon, technology leaders within the team and across the business. You are also a strong leader who can prioritize well, communicate clearly and compellingly, and you are someone who understands how to drive a high level of focus and excellence within an engineering team.
The Work: As a leader, you will hire the best engineering talent and bring them together as a team to innovate and deliver. You will define and build secure, reliable, scalable, fast, cost-effective, and easy-to-use products. You will work with a variety of languages and technologies including Java, PySpark, and AWS services. You will tackle challenging situations every day and will have the opportunity to redefine an industry while working with different teams across Amazon and Whole Foods Market. Along the way, we guarantee that you’ll learn a ton, have fun, and make a positive impact on many people. You’ll help set and deliver on aggressive goals for adoption, operational performance, and feature delivery. Your ability to effectively engage and influence senior-level stakeholders within and outside the immediate organization will be crucial for success in this role.
As a software development leader you will...
- Lead engineers and collaborate with engineering leaders across WFM and Amazon in the design, development, deployment, and ongoing operations of the tools, processes, and services that our customers depend on
- Contribute directly to our growth by hiring talented and motivated engineers who can deliver swiftly and predictably, adjusting in an agile fashion to deliver what our customers need
- Be responsible for ensuring the tools, processes, and services you own or help deliver are well designed, scalable, highly available, and deliver timely results
- Work closely with other Whole Foods Market and Amazon leaders and their teams to deliver platform features that require cross-team leadership
- Obsess over protecting customer information, maintaining system performance and availability, and simplifying enterprise scale complexity
- Regularly dive into architecture, code, test plans, project plans, deployments, and operations to drive excellence on your team and all projects that your team participates in
- Represent the Engineering Services team from both a business and operations perspective to senior leadership on a regular basis
- 5+ years’ experience with object-oriented design
- 5+ years’ experience using object-oriented programming languages
- 2+ years’ experience with API design for enterprise use
- Experience building scalable, available, and low-latency systems
- Knowledge of data formats like XML, JSON
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project by translating business objectives into technical solutions understanding how it will impact and align with overall strategy
- Excellent communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills. You’re good at finding new and better ways of communicating and sharing your work, and are always fine-tuning your work for impact and transparency
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
- Passionate about data, its usage to radically improve customer experiences, and love to explore unknown territory by inventing simple, beautiful solutions to complex business
- Highly collaborative with a proven record of working closely with your and other teams to influence outcomes and propose well-informed new directions
- Focused on continuous improvement of yourself, the team, and the systems we build.
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Experience with AWS services (S3, SQS/SNS, Lambda, API gateway, Kinesis, Dynamo DB)
- 2+ years of experience in Java or Python
- 2+ years of experience in SQL
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.