At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the team
Communication, the lifeblood of any organization. Before 2020, much of it happened in meeting rooms in offices all around the world. But last year — that changed dramatically. Those meeting rooms suddenly emptied. Fast-forward 18 months, and that massive shift in how we work has persisted.
We think today’s iteration of communication tools is just the tip of the iceberg. Looking around, it’s hard to escape the feeling there is going to be an explosion in innovation that is about to take place to enable organizations to communicate in an increasingly remote world.
We’re building new real-time communication tools as part of Cloudflare's Emerging Technology and Incubation team. We’re starting this big task by building SFUs with developer-friendly and low-level APIs on Cloudflare’s network to enable high performing, low latency video conferencing applications.
If you join us, you’ll be one of the first engineers that play a crucial role shaping our architecture, products we offer, and make a big difference in the industry.
What you'll do
- Build and deploy software on every machine within Cloudflare’s 250+ datacenters that runs our real-time communication stack that allows for video calls, video conferencing and other interactive applications
- Build and run a distributed SFU system that scales across physical machines - not just constrained to one machine
- Build clear APIs to manage video communication and streaming infrastructure
- Collaborate with engineers across the whole stack and teams across Cloudflare, and contribute at all layers of the OSI model
- Own your work from early discussions to the day it ships
- Work closely with product leaders and get to know customers big and small
- We primarily work in Golang and Rust. We highly recommend you have worked in one of these languages before, preferably professionally
- You are naturally curious and willing to take a step to learn something you don’t have experience in
- You have experience with video on the internet or video conferencing in the browser, preferably using the WebRTC or Media Source Extensions APIs
- Optionally, experience with SFU systems such as Pion, mediasoup or Jitsi as the system we’re building most closely resembles these existing projects
- Optionally, experience working on a large scale group video calling platform like Zoom or Google Meet
- Optionally, experience with RTMP, SRT, HLS and DASH protocols in addition to WebRTC. Familiarity with these protocols will help our goal of bridging the gap between video conferencing and video streaming
- You enjoy getting things done and have a bias for action: you're a builder and a creator
- You lead. We are a growing team, and you will have a huge role shaping the product from the ground up
- You have solid engineering fundamentals (formal computer science education a plus)
- You would like to join a team that is honest and open with each other and holds each other to the highest standard. We celebrate each other's achievements and support each other when we make mistakes
- What’s the interview process like?
- 30-minute phone call with the hiring manager, so we can align what you’re looking for in your job search
- Take-home technical challenge where you work on a project that we’ve written out for you
- Virtual onsite round; Practical technical interview with pair programming and an opportunity to meet members of the team including executives
- Final call with one of Cloudflare’s co-founders
- What stage is the product?
- We are at the first steps of building a platform. We’ve so far only shipped part of what's required to build a full-fledged, configurable and scalable project using Cloudflare’s network. If you join our team, you will have significant say in what we build next.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
18.104.22.168: We released 22.214.171.124 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.