FloSports is a direct-to-consumer subscription-based sports media company that streams live events across 25 different sports (e.g. Cycling, Track and Field, Wrestling, Racing, Bowling, Marching Band, and more) to millions of athletes & fans around the world.
As an extraordinary Software Engineer on our SportData Apps team, you'll work alongside fellow engineers, product, & design to create apps & services which help fans & athletes truly be there in the action! We build live event production management apps, craft graphic overlays like scoreboards for our live streams, and integrate various systems across sports to collect and display real-time scores, statistics, and key moment video highlights.
People who are successful on this team are self-motivated, team-minded engineers with passion and grit for both business and technological innovation. Our systems are built upon AWS & Google Cloud Platform with TypeScript, Node.js, Angular 11, Firebase/Firestore, Redis, Docker, and Kubernetes. The ability to embrace & adapt with changing technology is an important characteristic.
Our company is based in Austin, TX. This position is available to fully remote candidates located in the US.
- Work closely with design, product, and other engineers to rapidly build, iterate, test, and deploy new and existing features, API services, and apps.
- Iterate on our scoring app which allows us to collect real-time data with unique interfaces for dozens of sports.
- Craft on-screen graphics for our live broadcasts using our proprietary web software
- Develop adapters to integrate with various in-venue scoring systems to pull in real-time statistics and game data for use in our broadcasts, metadata, push notifications, etc.
- Architect and develop APIs while understanding the best practices of REST
- Create both user-facing components and backend APIs to create compelling experiences with a mobile-first mindset.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Senior-level full stack engineer with 4+ years of relevant experience
- Proficient in creating JSON RESTful APIs using a Node backend.
- Experience working with third-party API integrations
- Expertise in delivering modern backend services at-scale for high-throughput applications utilizing MVC, API design patterns, and caching techniques.
- A real passion for problem solving with strong analytical capabilities
- Desire to produce clear, maintainable, and testable code that teammates want to build upon
WHAT SETS YOU APART:
- Experience with Google Firebase RTDB or Firestore, Cloud Functions, etc.
- Experience with client-side frameworks Angular 10+, React, or Vue.
- Knowledge of writing efficient SQL queries and indexing strategies.
- Worked with NoSQL databases like Google Firebase/Firestore, Mongo, or DynamoDB. Know when these solutions are appropriate and their pluses and minuses versus relational databases.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Google Cloud Platform.
- Production knowledge of containers, Docker, and Kubernetes
- Have used caching technology like Redis or similar key-value stores.
- Have written and appreciate the importance of unit and functional tests, but willing to put results and create value ahead of having perfect test coverage.
- Deliver performant features through an iterative approach: building, measuring, and learning.
- Believe there is nothing more beautiful than elegantly written code, but also recognize it might not be perfect on its first pass. Instead, know that through micro refactoring you should leave it better than you found it each time you touch it.
- Think on your feet, be able to work collaboratively on a team, and have a great passion for technology and creating amazing products.
WHO WE ARE:
Founded in 2006, FloSports is a venture-backed OTT subscription video streaming service dedicated to sports, offering live and on-demand access to hundreds of thousands of competition events across 25+ sports in the US and abroad. FloSports’ vision is to finally give underserved sports the love they deserve. With a growing library of more than 300,000 hours of premium content including news, expert commentary, films, documentaries and more, FloSports has established itself as an innovator and leader in sports streaming. Finally your sport has a home.
HOW WE DO IT:
We are the CEOs of our own work and are accountable for the tasks and responsibilities assigned to us. We take pride in creating the content that fans love. We row in the same direction and work together on our common vision. We build and strengthen our relationships through teamwork and respect. We embrace challenges, ask questions and are allowed to fail as long as we learn. We are passionate about building tribes and communities worth belonging to. We are innovative, curious, and have an appetite for making things better. Does this sound like you?
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
At FloSports, we are bonded by our passion for sports and our purpose to unite communities around experiences that finally give underserved sports the love they deserve. We recognize the need to build a company that seeks out, embraces, and celebrates our individual differences, ideas, and talent. FloSports is committed to the pursuit of a fair, equal and inclusive workplace where everyone is given the opportunity to grow to their fullest potential. As such, we are intentional in our hiring practices in an effort to overcome systemic biases we may be blind to. FloSports has adopted the “blind recruiting” process, which aims to open this opportunity to more candidates, help us be more objective in how we review applicants and mitigate bias in our decision making processes.
- Recognized as one of 2020’s Top Workplaces by the Austin-American Statesman
- Competitive and comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans
- Peace of mind through company-paid short-term disability, long-term disability and life insurance
- Generous 401(K) company match
- Progressive parental leave policies
- Flexible paid vacation and work environment
- Free laundry service for all positions that require travel
- Company sponsorship donation to youth teams coached by our employees
- Bring your dog to work- everyday!
- Stocked snack bar, catered lunch and breakfast tacos every week
- Modern and collaborative office environment