VP of Engineering at Molecula
Organizations have reached a tipping point in data access where the effort involved in making data accessible is exceeding the value extracted from the data. Access to large, distributed data today is too complex, and the technologies to manage it are designed for scale rather than efficiency. As the adoption of advanced analytics and machine learning continues to accelerate, data readiness and availability will be the primordial ingredient required for success. The ultimate goal is instant access to real time data at high concurrency, but few if any businesses achieve this.
Molecula does achieve this via a novel data representation which is built from the ground up for storing and manipulating features. Our feature-oriented data format goes beyond columnar to find the most efficient data representation for analytics, and we do some unconventional things in software to make this possible.
Molecula’s vision is to unlock human potential through the power of real-time data. Our core technology is an enterprise feature store that solves the massive data readiness problem and allows companies to focus on extracting value from their data. We are a fast-growing startup with a cohesive team determined to bring about a complete transformation in the way enterprises and application providers advance by providing access to data at the speed of thought.
Molecula is searching for a people and process oriented VP of Engineering who can help scale the Engineering organization from ~15 to 50+ in 2021 while simultaneously managing the transition from delivering an on-premise product to building a SaaS platform and nurturing an open source community. This person should have a track record of building high performing organizations, including skills in organizational design, hiring and developing people, and collaborating effectively with other parts of the business on technical issues, deliverables, and plans.
- Hire, grow, and retain the best talent.
- Set high standards and hold folks accountable to them in a positive way.
- Organizational design.
- Setting up teams, roles, and management hierarchy.
- Defining communication interfaces between teams and management.
- Helping cross-functional teams gel and perform well.
- Keeping Engineering aligned with other business units through regular communication.
- Designing and implementing scalable processes for software development and operations.
Desired outcomes of this role:
- The business has high trust in Engineering.
- Engineering is healthy and trending positively on key metrics such as deployment frequency, change failure rate, and mean time to recovery.
- Engineering team has grown with high quality individuals.
- Retention and metrics like employee net promoter score are high and trending well.
- Engineering is a predictable machine, cranking out value sprint over sprint.
- Molecula is known brand to engineers in Austin and more broadly as a great place to work.
The health of the engineering organization is central to our ability to bring our core innovation to the market and the world. This role is about constantly improving that health as we grow.
- 10+ years of work experience. 3+ in engineering leadership, and ideally the prior years are in engineering.
- CS/Engineering degree or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with agile methodology, especially Scrum.
- Agile/Scrum certifications are a bonus.
- Demonstrated experience successfully managing/scaling engineering teams to deliver a SaaS product.
- Experience with data-centric products like databases.
- Comfortable working in a startup environment.
- Integrity—above all else, you are honest. Without trust, we fail.
- Initiative—new challenges arise constantly, you take responsibility for meeting them rather than waiting to be told what to do.
- Commitment—you follow through, you get things across the finish line.
- Scientific Mindset—you make an effort to understand things deeply and test your hypotheses, however you also know that it can be more efficient to go with your instincts and tradeoff against the next value...
- Speed—You push to iterate quickly and find the minimum that can be done to get to the next learning and manage risk.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.