VP, Tech Strategy Governance
Leading uniquely at the intersection point of technology and social good, Blackbaud provides software, services, expertise, and data intelligence that empowers and connects people to advance the social good movement. We serve the entire social good community, which includes nonprofits, foundation, corporations, education institutions, and the individual change agents who support them. We work with over 40,000 organizations, helping them realize their goals, fund their missions, manage their operations, and develop long-lasting supporter relationships. Our customers are passionate about making the world a better place, and we’re inspired by the opportunity to help them.
Blackbaud was founded on the idea that technology can be a medium for social change. Over the last thirty years, we’ve delivered software solutions to the nonprofit sector, helping mission-driven organizations engage their supporters. We have the satisfaction of knowing that our solutions are making a difference every day, allowing our clients to focus their time and resources on what they do best: Changing the world.
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the VP of Technical Strategy & Governance drives intentional innovation in alignment with Blackbaud business strategies. This is a critical engineering and strategy leadership role requiring a strong background in private and public PAAS/IAAS heterogeneous technical stacks, will have directed architecture strategy for an organization with a complex product portfolio, and will have led an organization through a successful transformation to a cloud solutions strategy.
The role includes:
- Lead a team of Distinguished Engineers and Architects to conduct research on technology trends, identifying opportunities that should be addressed and integrated into the long-term technical solution roadmap across Blackbaud’s platform and vertical capabilities.
- Drive the end-to-end technical solution roadmap (IAAS/PAAS) for Blackbaud in partnership with Product Mgmt Leadership, Application Architecture and other key internal stakeholder groups including Corporate Strategy & Development, Partner Development and Professional services.
- Shape the reference architecture at the company-wide platform level with a two (2) to five (5) year lens.
- Manage and execute on technical due diligence for M&A efforts, including post-close integration with Blackbaud’s solutions
- Create Developer Services Roadmaps and provide guidance on technical standards and frameworks for use internally and within the partner ecosystem
- Build strong relationships and collaborate with architectural and engineering leadership across Blackbaud including Application Architecture, Security Architecture & Governance and Infrastructure Architecture.
- Drive standards library and frameworks for non-functional requirements across the engineering community.
- Lead the Blackbaud Product Architecture council whose mission is to assist individual teams by developing, communicating and managing technology standards and then working with the teams to support and implement these standards.
- Mentor, influence, assist, and guide engineering strategy, architecture and execution across Blackbaud.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science is required. A Masters/PhD is preferred.
- Minimum 15 years of progressive, hands-on engineering and architecture experience, preferably in a SAAS/PAAS/IAAS environment and across multiple technology areas (preferably depth experience in Java and .Net)
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a leadership role with proven track record of leading teams focused on new technology development across a large (500+ person) engineering organization operating in a cloud-context.
- Minimum 10 years people management experience.
- Must be willing to work from Blackbaud’s Charleston HQ or our Austin, Texas location.
- Travel required.
Skills / Qualifications
- Strong track record of building coalitions for change in a complex organization.
- Experience leading a mid-size company through a transformation to cloud services a plus.
- Expert knowledge and experience with Managed Hosting and Managed Services Operations
- Deep knowledge of IAAS and PAAS offerings preferably with Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services
Why you’ll want to come work here:
- Competitive salary (commission/bonus based on type of role), 4 weeks paid time off, great benefits (medical, dental, vision, FSA), 401K match
- Gift matching, volunteer for vacation program, and endless community involvement opportunities
- Named to Forbes’ Fast Tech 25 and Fortune’s Change the World List; we are growing and offer incredible opportunity for advancement
- Tremendous company culture and office perks as well as a new cutting-edge new headquarters completed in 2018
Blackbaud is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
To all recruitment agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.