Assistant Controller – Austin, TX
Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
- Support the Corporate Controller in the Company’s overall month-end and quarter-end accounting close and financial reporting process.
- Manage the preparation of monthly and quarterly balance sheet account analysis including reconciliations, variance analyses and roll forwards.
- Prepare the Company’s monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Perform ad hoc research and analysis on any non-recurring transactions or technical accounting matters to determine appropriate accounting treatment and related financial statement disclosures
- Work closely with the Company’s external auditors during interim and year-end audits.
- Work closely with the Company’s tax preparers during tax season.
- Prepare, consolidate and review all financial statements for the Operating Businesses within Amherst Residential
- Assist in the management of accounting personnel, as a mentor and trainer to develop the team
- Assist with the design and implementation of the Accounting group’s process improvement initiatives.
- Support the Company’s implementation of technology and systems initiatives.
- Enforce the Accounting group’s policies and procedures.
- BA or higher degree in finance or accounting CPA license or equivalent experience required.
- 10 - 15 years experience including at least 5 in a management or supervisory role overseeing accounting personnel.
- Minimum 2 years of Big 4 or Public Audit/Accounting experience required.
- Strong understanding of GAAP and related Standards.
- Yardi experience preferred, not required.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- High level of integrity and dependability.
- Proven track record for driving process efficiencies.
- Superior analytical skills with the ability to manage large volumes of transactions and data.
- High level of Excel and spreadsheet skills.
- Strong initiative with excellent organization skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills with the ability to think outside the box.
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast paced and dynamic work environment with a strong sense of urgency.
- Ability to work overtime when required.
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work independently and make sound decisions
What We Offer:
Amherst’s WeWork office is located on Barton Springs Rd. near the heart of downtown Austin and within walking distance of Lady Bird Lake.
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO, 8 paid holidays
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Stellar colleagues with proven track records
- Parking pass provided (parking located in the Palmer Events Center across the street)
- Free sodas, kombucha, cold brew, and snacks
- Monthly lunch stipends and breakfast tacos on Thursdays!
- Monthly/Weekly office events!
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.