Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
Based in Austin the Chief Economist will report into the Head of Research and Analytics. Over time we expect the remit will expand into a small team with additional economists that bring region or city expertise.
Lead the effort to analyze existing and new markets for single family/multi-family portfolio expansion into new markets. The Chief Housing economist will manage the following functions:
• Local market housing research: Track, surveil and analyze local market trends to better inform both the residential and commercial real estate investment strategies. Help identify areas and types of homes that are likely to outperform based on demographic, economic, RE project announcements, big corporate expansions / moves / layoffs and other local drivers. Provide support for market strategy for internal acquisition channels as well as designing portfolios for different external mandates.
• Impact of federal and local government policies: Conduct economic research on housing policies and monitor developments in housing and real estate policies. Analyze local market trends for changes in zoning, building, labor regulation and other things that can materially affect housing.
• Earned media/branding: Publish regular market commentaries on interesting real estate topics, present at conferences and help enhance the media/branding effort through content generation.
• PhD in economics or related field
• Proven track record as a housing economist or similar role with 10+ Years of experience
• Self-motivated, results oriented and exhibits urgency in taking action
• The ability to think strategically and act quickly will be critical to success
• Absolute integrity
• Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively across organizational levels, and externally including with the media
• A team player who leads by example and has built high performing teams.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment and make quick data based decisions.
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO, 8 paid holidays
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- On-premise fitness center, locker rooms
- Daily catered lunches, fully stocked kitchen with snacks/drinks
- Relaxed casual environment and weekly/quarterly office events!
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.
Read Full Job Description