Amherst is a real estate private equity firm with multiple equity and debt strategies. Holistically, Amherst currently has AUM of $5.8bn across our debt and equity strategies. Amherst Holdings real estate private equity business was established in 2012 after multiple decades in the residential mortgage securities investment banking business. Amherst’s private equity business has grown from 34 employees in 2012 to 1000+ today. Amherst continues to grow rapidly to capitalize on increasing industry opportunities.
Real Estate Private Equity:
Our Single Family Residential Equity strategy (Amherst Residential) has quickly scaled over the last 5 years to own and operate 20,000+ homes in 30 markets across 21 states while building a vertically integrated real estate investment and operating platform. Across the SFR strategy, Amherst has raised almost $2.5bn in equity and arranged approximately $5.7bn in debt financing over the last five years and is currently investing more than $150mm a month in single family real estate assets.
Real Estate Private Credit:
The four year-old Commercial Real Estate Lending strategy combines a veteran debt team with unique pricing analytics to source, underwrite, structure and asset manage loans backing all types of CRE assets across the US.
Within the Capital Management division, the head of Debt Capital Markets will manage develop and maintain key investor relationships and manage the financing process on behalf of Amherst’s own multi-billion dollar balance sheet and across its third party Joint Ventures and advised funds. Key financing needs across the platform include: warehouse financing, senior and mezzanine term financing, public securitizations, unsecured corporate lines of credit and seller financing.
The team is seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to head our Debt Capital Markets activities, leading all aspects of the firm’s debt financing activities including maintaining and growing key investor relationships as well as the structuring, negotiating, execution and syndication of debt financing in both the private and public markets for both our businesses.
- Drive financing strategy across Amherst platform to maximize returns across various real estate investment products
- Evaluate risk and negotiate transactions, including pricing, structuring and managing of private funding vehicles, on balance sheet funding sources & solutions (e.g. CLO’s, warehouse and credit lines).
- Arrange term financing for Joint Ventures
- Issue and manage securitizations, loan syndication, monetizing “last look” on CRE bridge loans
- Establish strong investor, banking and counterparty relationships to facilitate debt capital raises
- Model investments to optimize returns and flexibility to determine appropriate financing terms and covenants
- Oversee all aspects of structured finance transactions, including valuation, accounting, third party engagements and other transaction issues
- Manage the day-to-day workflow of the team
- Ensure project management of initiatives within the team and communication internally regarding the status of ongoing debt capital raises
- Coordinate work product with legal, tax, accounting, regulatory parties
- Finalize client presentations and interface with investment partners and potential lenders
- Lead rating agency interactions, ensure compliance with and reporting on debt covenants
- Partner with Investor Services and FP&A to facilitate reporting processes, proper controls, and cash flow forecasting
- Collaborate with senior leaders to generate new ideas and further initiatives
- College degree required; MBA and/or CFA nice to have
- Interested candidates need demonstrated abilities to:
- Apply a deep understanding of deal structuring and real estate financing
- Partner with deal teams and run complex financial modelling (solid Excel skills)
- Shift gears with emerging data points and handle risk and uncertainty
- Interpret and present analysis thoughtfully
- Take initiative to work independently and as part of a team
- Think strategically and creatively
- Consult with and present directly to clients
- Manage self and team’s time efficiently
- Independent, logical and critical-thinking
- Solution-oriented when presenting problems
What We Offer:
This role will be based in Amherst’s brand new office space in the heart of downtown Austin.
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO, 8 paid holidays
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- Employee referral program
- On-premise fitness center, locker rooms
- Monthly lunch stipends, fully stocked kitchen with snacks/drinks
- Monthly/quarterly office events!
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.