Vice President, Finance - Capital Management at Amherst
Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
The Amherst Chief Accounting Officer is responsible for all accounting and financial reporting requirements of Amherst, including the centralized shared services and accounts payable operations. Additionally, the Chief Accounting Officer will lead all technical accounting research and internal controls documentation and its application to both internal and external reporting throughout the Amherst organization. The ideal candidate will be highly skilled and process oriented, comfortable working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. The Chief Accounting Officer must maintain a results-driven approach and hold him/herself accountable for results and will report to Amherst’s’ Chief Financial Officer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• This role is an individual contributor that may develop into leading a team. The individual will work closely with the existing finance, strategy and operations teams. A successful candidate will be responsible for:
• Leading the evaluation of all significant accounting transactions, research and implementation of relevant accounting technical standards, and preparation of technical accounting memos supporting all accounting positions
• Preparing Amherst annual financial statements and interim financial reports
• Assisting in the preparation of the Company’s quarterly Board and Board Committee meeting materials
• Overseeing centralized accounts payable processing and shared services accounting, allocations and P&L cost center reporting
• Leading the implementation of new technical accounting guidance and training
• Collaborating with Internal Audit for the development and implementation of policies, procedures, and internal controls, as needed
• Coordinating with external auditors for quarterly reviews and year-end audit process Challenging and understanding financial information so that issues are resolved and financial results are properly recorded and presented
• Coordinating with external tax teams in preparation of year-end Amherst tax returns
• Bachelors in Accounting or Finance
• CPA designation required
• 10-15 years of experience working in technical accounting/finance is required
• Advanced understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and the ability to apply GAAP to new and existing transactions and proven ability to document and support accounting conclusions
• Real estate industry experience required
• Experience in public company reporting and SOX guidance helpful
• Experience with Yardi helpful
• Robust interpersonal skills
• Strong analytical and organizational skills and good attention to detail
• Ability to prioritize assignments, deal with interruptions, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced and growth-oriented environment
Audit experience a plus to identify control weaknesses and develop solutions for rapid implementation
Highly proficient in MS office applications: Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook.
What we offer:
Amherst is a privately held corporation located in West Austin with beautiful views of Lake Austin and the loop 360 bridge in a modern workspace with open floor plans.
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO, 8 paid holidays
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- On-premise fitness center, locker rooms
- Daily catered lunches, fully stocked kitchen with snacks/drinks
- Relaxed casual environment and weekly/quarterly office events!
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.