Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
The Amherst VP, Tax Director oversees and manages of tax analysis and compliance work for the Amherst Group. This position will report to the Chief Financial Officer.
- The evaluation of all significant tax rules at the state and federal level that impact our core business.
- Preparing and submitting tax position papers to the company’s external tax prepares to optimize the tax liability for our investors and owners.
- Preparing monthly and quarterly state property tax filings in conjunction with our third-party administrator.
- Work with Accounts Payable to develop and implement proper sales/use tax policies by state and type of product.
- Assisting in the preparation of the Company’s quarterly Board and Board Committee reviews.
- Identify ways to reduce our reliance on third-party administrators.
- Collaborating with AR’s Controllers and the Director of Internal Audit for the development and implementation of policies, procedures, and internal controls, as needed.
- Coordinating with external tax prepares for quarterly reviews and year-end tax filings.
- Other duties as necessary
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- 10-15 years of tax compliance experience, years of experience managing tax reporting within the real estate and/or structured finance industries
- 4 year degree in accounting or finance required, advanced degree a plus
- 5 years prior management experience required
- CPA required
- Big 4 or public tax experience preferred
- Ability to work at a high level, as well as “hands” on in the details
- Strong analytical and leadership skills
- Advanced understanding of state and local property tax rules and the ability to apply account and forecast changes in those tax rule
- Demonstrate clear proficiency in state and local tax regulations and research
- Robust interpersonal skills, work with little supervision and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize assignments, deal with interruptions, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced and growth-oriented environment
- Audit experience a plus to identify control weaknesses and develop solutions for rapid implementation
- Highly proficient in MS office applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
Our full-time employee benefits include:
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO including 7 paid holidays, 1 floating holiday, and 1 volunteer day
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- Up to 16 weeks paid maternity leave; up to 4 weeks of paid parental leave
- Backup childcare offered through Bright Horizons
- Relaxed casual environment with virtual office events
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.