Computational Chemistry Internship
Come work at Smarter Sorting!
Smarter Sorting is seeking a Computational Chemistry Intern (paid) to join our dynamic team for the Spring semester. Our Computational Chemistry Intern will be essential in writing algorithms to predict the physical properties of consumer goods – an integral part of Smarter Sorting’s first-of-its-kind system to scale the regulatory classification of consumer chemical goods. Our inter will be successful in this role if they are able to understand each data source and how data is structured and acquired from each source.
- Analyze the sources of Smarter Sorting’s chemical data (e.g., Sigma Aldrich, PubChem) to fully understand data quality and form per each source
- Document the repeatable systems used to monitor the data quality and normalization of Smarter Sorting’s chemical data
- Write algorithms to predict the physical properties of consumer goods based on the chemicals in each mixture
- Own creating and managing a Health Report on how Smarter Sorting curates its core chemical datasets – on molecular structure, physical hazards, toxicity – and pick the attribute of "best fit" for each chemical
Experience & Skills:
- A degree in Chemistry (or currently pursuing)
- Experience with Python
- Experience PubChem, Ecotox, RTECS, ChemID, Sigma Aldrich, Fischer Scientific or similar sources of chemical data
- Experience computing chemical characteristics (e.g., calculating flashpoint of a mixture)
- Experience with Chem Draw, Chemdoodle or similar chemistry software
Our Spring Internship program will be from March 15 - May 15, with the ability to roll into full-time role pending success and our organizational needs.
Your Benefits & Perks
Competitive Compensation Packages
Medical, dental & vision insurance
Short-term disability insurance
Generous Parental Leave
Unlimited Paid Time Off
Continuing Education Sponsorship
Bi-Annual All-Hands, Volunteering & Special Events (with baby goats in attendance)
Unlimited snacks & drinks
Smarter Sorting is a purpose-driven company committed to advancing sustainability at every phase of the consumer product lifecycle. Our cutting-edge machine learning technology enables cost-effective, legally compliant decisions for all unsold products, and our process advances our partners’ zero-waste goals.
As a collective group of machine learning experts, successful serial entrepreneurs, data scientists, sustainability experts, and national account program managers, our passion for data-driven sustainability drives us toward a singular goal: to reduce waste through the salvation of unwanted items. Our goal is to minimize valuable product disposal and maximize sustainable alternatives such as donation, reuse, and recycling.
A healthy culture is key to our company’s success and more importantly our employees’ happiness. At Smarter Sorting: We do what it takes. We are driven to become experts. We are not jerks. We are real. We have grit. Our core values drive our culture and in turn, we achieve our vision.
Better decisions. Better data. Greener planet. All made possible by the best people. Come join our team!
Read Full Job Description