Software Engineer Intern at Fivestars
Software Engineer Intern
Fivestars is looking for Summer 2021 interns (June-August 2021) to join our engineering team and build the next generation of products to help small businesses and local communities thrive. In this role you’ll gain hands-on experience with Kubernetes, Kafka, React, ElasticSearch, Python, TypeScript, and the rest of our tech stack that supports over 12,000 merchants and 40 million customers. We’ll provide you with all the mentorship, support, engagement, and real-time feedback that you need to accelerate your learning and make an impact on the Fivestars product.
Who you are
You’re currently pursuing a degree in Computer Science or a related field and want to solve complex and interesting problems. You demonstrate a high level of curiosity and thirst for learning. You are a strong team player who wants to contribute to a product that impacts the lives of business owners and consumers alike.
What you’ll do
- Ship code to production and have fun while doing it!
- Work on one of our product teams alongside senior engineers -- our teams are full-stack and contribute anywhere from back-end APIs and databases down to front-end UI on each of our surfaces.
- Collaborate with the engineering and product team, occasionally pair program, and learn all about agile code review and test architecture.
- Be paired with an engineering mentor who will guide you through the entire internship.
- Be a full-fledged contributing member of the engineering team participating in daily scrums, weekly strategic sprint-plannings, monthly retrospectives, weekly brown bag lunch & learns, and bi-weekly show & tell product townhalls.
- Actively engage in a robust internship experience where you’ll learn what it’s like to be a full-time engineer at Fivestars, participate in lunch & learns with our CEO, CTO, and leadership team, and enjoy monthly events such as hackathons, retreats, social outings, and volunteering events.
- Occasionally eat a piece of pizza or two or six.
What we’re looking for
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in any of the following: CS, EE, Physics, Math.
- Strong team player - we work in small product teams that work very closely together and are constantly collaborating in order to move as fast as possible.
- Excel at structured and quantitative thinking and problem-solving.
- Love to crank out code and hack on problems in your free time.
- Previous internship experience is not required but is preferred.
Who we are
Fivestars is America’s largest local commerce network, driving over $3 billion of sales and 100 million transactions annually. Our mission is to help businesses and communities thrive by turning every transaction into a relationship. We offer an all-in-one payments, loyalty and marketing automation platform that brings more customers to local businesses. Founded in 2011, Fivestars is backed by Lightspeed, DCM, Menlo Ventures, HarbourVest, and others. Together, let’s #LoveLocal.
For more information visit: www.fivestars.com.
Fivestars provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Fivestars complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.